Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help me Identifying my ancient coins 12/40  (Read 1346 times)

antikaci

Please help me Identifying my ancient coins 12/40
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:24:27 am »
This one is heavy , about 20 gram, diameter 23 mm (26 mm on the corner)

I found a similar one, it was a coin of jerusalem,
130 BD

I see a christian cross at the bottom

And see some words like : HTAAPI  OENAP  XWN
other side:  :Greek_Delta:OV  VXV  OVO  :Tcurl: 

But I dont know if i read this correct or upside down, and dont know if you have to rotate the pics

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Please help me Identifying my ancient coins 12/40
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »
Looks like a lead seal rather than a coin. There are people in the Byzantine section who are better than I at deciphering these inscriptions, and once (at least partially) deciphered there is the splendid PBW website:  http://www.pbw.kcl.ac.uk/content/index.html

Bill R

P.S. The last few letters in your first picture I read as  :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Pi_3: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Rho:   :Greek_Chi: :Greek_omega_small: :Greek_Nu:  which is a title or part of a title. As I recall, the eparch is the principal magistrate or prefect of a city.

P.P.S. I think the second picture should be rotated 180 degrees. Then the inscription on that side appears to start something like   :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:    :Greek_Delta: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2:   [ :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Omicron:] :Greek_Upsilon_2:   :Greek_Chi: :Greek_Upsilon_2: with the last two letters overscored to indicate an abbreviation. I'd read that as doulou Christou ('[The seal] of the servant of Christ'), perhaps followed by a proper name.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity