Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Odd Tiberius  (Read 1263 times)

Krispos

Odd Tiberius
« on: December 10, 2014, 04:49:15 pm »
I feel this Tiberius is not right. The coloring, smoothness, edges, and lettering are unusual. I am new so I wanted to get valid opinions and see if I should post this as a fake if confirmed. Thank you.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Odd Trajan
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:59:00 pm »
It is not Trajan. It is Tiberius. From the picture alone, I would doubt its authenticity. What is the weight?
PeteB

Krispos

Re: Odd Trajan
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 05:05:43 pm »
Seller Claims it is 3.24 grams 18mm.

Offline ga77

• Consul
    • Catalogue of Middle Bronzes from Pertinax onwards
Re: Odd Tiberius
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:52:35 pm »
A very poor modern fake. No weight needed - you can post it in the fake reports!

Vale
Gabriel

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:26:21 pm »
It's one of the fakes attributed to Slavey Petrov, I believe.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 06:23:56 am »

Slavey makes repros, and sells them as such, as far I know.

Ross G.

Offline YtramX

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 11:25:50 am »
Those are the same pictures being used in saxbys-coins' auction.  Thankfully I can say that because saxbys-coins is listed in the NFSL.

Although I still suck at identifying fakes, I definitely never buy until I consult the NFSL, and also thoroughly look through feedback on the seller (even positive).

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 11:40:07 am »
Although I still suck at identifying fakes, I definitely never buy until I consult the NFSL, and also thoroughly look through feedback on the seller (even positive).

Very wise precaution.  I think I have a decent eye/intuition, especially for "my" areas, but the increasing plethora of fakes, tooling, etc coming out continues to give me pause.  The feedback on the world's biggest thieves market is, repectfully, worthless and I increasingly do the same basic due diligence unless I know the seller and the series well (and sometimes even then).

Nebukadnezar

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 04:51:46 pm »

Slavey makes repros, and sells them as such, as far I know.

Ross G.

Since when?
I havenĀ“t seen a marked Slavei so far and a have seen many Slavei fakes!
On ancients.info are most of these Slavei fakes including this Tiberius fake.

http://www.ancients.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=131&title=sr-1762-tiberius&cat=513

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 06:06:20 pm »
Some countries now require repros to be marked as such, but this is a relatively recent development in many cases. And some countries still don't require it.
Slavey copies are generally easy to spot as they look better than the originals - higher relief, better struck and unworn. Note also in this case the extra dots in the reverse legend, which are presumably deliberate, as they don't appear on the standard coin.
Naturally some people offer Slavey types as genuine, sometimes after roughing them up a bit to give them a more natural look.

Ross G.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 10:16:52 am »
If not already done, fake coin reports please. Reminder, anyone who has time can do the reports. Submission is not limited to the people who posted the photos.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity