Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Greek Coins Discussion Forum

Phoenicia Arados - Bronze

<< < (3/32) > >>

John Anthony:
A most excellent and informative thread!

Arados:
Saddening to hear of this historical city's demise. I am of course aware of the slum conditions, not really surprising due to the General Department of Antiquity declaring the whole island a historical site and in the process banning any form of construction or restoration which prevents the inhabitants from restoring their crumbling homes. This unfortunate bureaucratic stalemate has been ongoing for the last 32 years with no solution in sight, lets hope that common sense prevails and the ban is lifted. If Arwad is to be restored to it´s former glory, not only for historical reasons but also for the future generations of Aradians, then funding will have to be forthcoming soon before the damage to all buildings and structures is irreparable.

Thanks for your input Sam and your support John.

Lee S:
Interesting thread indeed my Friend! I hope 2014 brings you more lucky finds!!!

Arados:
Series AR-ZP (Duyrat Série 15)

Little did i know when helping a fellow FORVM member with the identification of this coin that i would have the very good fortune of owning it at a later date.
Thanks again Pendrakon for giving me the opportunity of adding this rare and wonderful coin to my collection.  +++

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=93039.msg577068#msg577068

Duyrat lists the coin has Série 15 and only received six of it´s type for which only two were photographed for the publication of Duyrat 2005.

Below are the six coins that can be found in various museums and one now residing in Stockholm.

Au droit : tête de Zeus laurée à droite. Grènetis.
Au revers : proue de navire armée d’un éperon à gauche. Lettres grecques dans le champ en haut. Date en grec à l’exergue, lettre phénicienne au-dessous.

Obverse: Laureate head of Zeus right, Beading.
Reverse: Prow of a ship with Greek letters in the field above, Date in Greek with Phoenician letter below .

My apologies for the poor translation, French was never my strong point.  ???

An 176 (Aradian era date 176=POς) : POς (84/3), lettres grecques dans le champ en haut : ΘPA ; lettre phénicienne : D (Greek letters above and Phoenician letter daleth below)

4622 D1-R1, Berlin, SM, Löbbecke (1906). 2,82 g, 13,8 mm, 12 h.

4623 D1-R1, New York, ANS 1944 100 70684 Newell. 2,40 g, 12,1 mm, 12 h.

4624 *D1-R1, Paris, BNF, H. Seyrig Y28883,34. 2,25 g, 14,2 mm, 12 h.

4625 D1-R2, Beyrouth, AUB Museum, no 195. 2,41 g, 13 mm, 12 h.

An 177 (Aradian era date 177=POZ) : POZ (83/2), lettres grecques dans le champ en haut : OΔO ; lettre phénicienne : B (Greek letters above and Phoenician letter beth below)

4626 D2-R3?, collection Lindgren, no 1344. 2,72 g.

4627 *D2-R3, Paris, BNF, H. Seyrig Y28883,35. 2,62 g, 12,7 mm, 12 h.

Final attribution;

Phoenicia, Arados 84-83 B.C

AE 13.02mm (Thickness 2.89mm), weight 2.54g, die axis = 12h (0 degrees), denomination D.

Obverse: Laureate head of Zeus right.

Reverse: Prow of Galley left, ΘΠA above, Aradian era date 176 (POς ) & Phoenician letter daleth (D) below.

Duyrat Pg.113 No.4622-4627 / HGC10: Pg.25 95.

P.S Lee, thanks for your support and indeed 2014 has got of to a good start.  ;)

Arados:
FORVM friends,

Please do not hesitate in contributing to this post if you have any fascinating knowledge about this historical island fortress or if you happen to be the lucky owner of a rare bronze that you would like to share with us all. I started this post for the benefit of all who share my passion for Aradian coins and for those who may just have a passing interest but want to find out more about this diverse and once powerful culture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version