Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ushabti  (Read 1859 times)

Offline antonio carlos m

• Legionary
ushabti
« on: October 11, 2013, 07:07:03 pm »
good night.
I am new to this forum, I wonder if someone can translate these hieroglyph, sorry my English.

Offline Russ

• Consul
Re: ushabti
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:43 am »
Hi Antonio,
     Your shabti seems to be real and probably dates to the Third Intermediate Period (TIP). The inscription reads " A gift which the king gives to the Osiris (the deceased) followed by a personal name. There is a chance the eye is part of the name, too. Unfortunately, the next hieroglyph is faded, so I could not check Ranke. The inscription begins with part of an old, well know prayer called the "Hotep de nesut".  The third hieroglyph consisting of a horizontal line with a "diamond" centered, is the "Hotep"; the triangle is the "de" and translates "gives" and the plant is the "Nesut".
     Many of these ushabti have a bag or sack painted on their backs. Does yours have one, too?
     For TIP shabti with the "Hotep de nesut" inscription and a personal name see:
1.     Chappaz, Jean-Luc. Les Figurines Funeraires Egyptiennes du Musee D'Art et D'Histoire et de Quelques Collections Privees. Aegyptiaca Helvetica 10, Geneve, 1982: pages 44 and 45; Numbers 025 to 027.
2.     Petrie, W.M.F. Shabtis. British School of Archaeology in Egypt. London, 1935 (reprinted by Aris & Phillips/Malter, Warminster & Encino, 1974): Plate XI, Numbers 469 to 472.
     For Second Intermediate Period ushabti (they look different from yours) with the same prayer, see Petrie, W.M.F. Shabtis. British School of Archaeology in Egypt. London, 1935 (reprinted by Aris & Phillips/Malter, Warminster & Encino, 1974) Plates VI and VII.
     Ushabti with the "Hotep de nesut" are also listed in Newberry, Percy E. Funerary Statuetts and Model Sarcophagi, Catalogue General des Antiquites Egyptiennes du Musee du Caire, Troisieme Fascicules. Cairo, 1957. I only have the third fascicule, indices and plates, and some are in it, so I expect the first two volumes to have more.
     I hope this helps.
Russ

Offline antonio carlos m

• Legionary
Re: ushabti
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:47:23 am »
Dear Mr. Russ, thank you for your help, it was very useful for me.
Yes, my ushabti has a bag.
Thanks again

All coins are guaranteed for eternity