Antiquities Discussion Forums > Fibulae and Clothing Items

Fibulae on NumisWiki

(1/4) > >>

Joe Sermarini:
Shawn Caza has been working to create an excellent Fibula section on NumisWiki.   

Please help make our fibula section the ultimate online resource for fibulae.  Please contribute to these pages by adding photos and additional information.  If you have ideas or suggestions for improvements, please discuss them here.

Please take a look: 

Fibula

SC:
I have just finished the beginning phase of making the fibula wiki pages.  The basic architecture, or structure of all of the pages, is now in place.  I have done the basic formatting of each though I will clean them up a bit (others are welcome to do so  as well if they wish).

However, this effort is just a beginning.  Some pages don't even have lists of types yet - like Iron Age fibula.  Others just have a list with no real details - like Greek fibula.  Others have no photos yet, etc.

As Joe said please add photos.  If you don't know how, or if you have photos but are uncertain of the exact type of fibula you have please PM or email me and I can help you.

Also please feel free to add more details under each fibula.

I have tried to add the following for each fibula:

Typology: this is where we put the classifications.  If you can add some data or know of a new typology, please add it to the list (i.e. Smith C3 or whatever it is).  I still have to add lots of typology data, especially in Knee and Kraftig Profilierte types.

Dates: this is the main date range of usage.  I have chosen this based on as many sources I could find but have biased it in favour of the more recent sources.   Please do not change it based on an old source as it may have been overtaken by more recent research.  But please add any newer information or start a discussion (or email or PM me) if you think I have it wrong (which will be the case in many instances).

Distribution: these are the main find locations and some notes on usage.  I did not include data on every place they have been found as single or rare examples usually do not tell us about main distribution, but only about the key find places.

Notes:  these are any miscellaneous notes.

So in summation please help in any way - add photos, new types, data, corrections, pointing out typos and errors, etc.  lets make this a complete catalogue of fibulae types and the best fibula source on the web.

Shawn

Russ:
Hi Shawn,

I have a question... I don't even know if this is permissible or legal...

I have an obscure/rare (at least to me) book that illustrates a certain type of brooch, among other things. The book is Korzukhina, G.F. Russian Treasures IX to XIIIth Centuries, Moskow, CCCP Academy of Sciences (?) 1954. The text is in Russian. It illustrates three brooches of the period - 2 photos and one drawing. The line drawing illustrates the "type" very nicely - all three are very similar. If I scan the drawing can you add it? Would you want to? Is the Russian medieval period too late for your purposes?
     Thanks.

Russ

SC:
Russ,

The period is fine.  I think any pre-modern fibulae or brooches are good.

There are many books with great line drawings that I would love to steal en masse but I don't think we can use without permission.

However, I looked into this issue many years ago (I was a big collector of Soviet militaria) and the advice I got was that the Soviet Union never signed up to international copyright law and thus their stuff was fair game.

More importantly I think that even where copyright was in place putting a few images with proper credit would be fine.  Jst not stealing whole sections.

So lets try it.  I will add the book title when I put it up.  If the Supreme Soviet of the USSR comes after us we can appologise and take it down.

Shawn

Joe Sermarini:

--- Quote from: otlichnik on February 15, 2013, 03:10:44 pm ---Russ,

The period is fine.  I think any pre-modern fibulae or brooches are good.

There are many books with great line drawings that I would love to steal en masse but I don't think we can use without permission.

However, I looked into this issue many years ago (I was a big collector of Soviet militaria) and the advice I got was that the Soviet Union never signed up to international copyright law and thus their stuff was fair game.

More importantly I think that even where copyright was in place putting a few images with proper credit would be fine.  Jst not stealing whole sections.

So lets try it.  I will add the book title when I put it up.  If the Supreme Soviet of the USSR comes after us we can appologise and take it down.

Shawn

--- End quote ---

We should be very limited in our our use of material that is still in copyright, and still in print or likely to be reprinted.  We should get permission and ensure credit is given.    

If something is out of print and unlikely to be reprinted, I think it is appropriate educational "fair use" to make the unavailable, available. Not en mass, I agree, but bits. We must still give proper credit, and, yes, if we get a complaint, appologise and take it down.  

Anything published before 1923 can be used en mass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version