Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Classical Numismatics Books and References Discussion Forum

NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENTS

<< < (19/22) > >>

mharlan:
In December Spink published my revised second edition of Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins 63 BCE-49 BCE and they are planning on having copies at the New York Show.

The following are notes that I made on the changes to the first edition.

This second edition comes twenty years after the first giving me time to digest some of the criticisms of the first edition as well as of the second book Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins 81 BCE-64 BCE published in 2012 and to rethink some of the interpretations and dating. Besides being more heavily illustrated, small changes or additions have been made to all the chapters, but significant changes have been made to the following chapters listed as they appear in this edition:

Chapter 2 Lucius Scribonius Libo: I have a reassessment of the Puteal Scribonianum using information on the Altar of Veius which was called to my attention by a reader, Claudio Scaetta from Rome, Italy.

Chapter 5 Marcus Aemilius Lepidus: I have a much fuller discussion of his two S•C coins and this has led to a re-dating of those two coins.

Chapter 12 Gaius Memmius: The identity of Gaius Memmius the imperator of the coin’s inscription is discussed in light of an inscription unknown to me at the time of the first edition.

Chapter 14 Marcus Plaetorius Cestianus: I had dated his seven coins to 68/7 in Roman Republian Moneyers and Their Coins 81 BCE- 64 BCE, but have now redated his five non-curule aedile S•C coins to 57 and added a revision of that portion of his chapter.

Chapter 19 Publius Licinius Crassus: I have added a much fuller discussion of his reverse design.

Chapter 20 Gaius Considius Nonianus: This moneyer was dated to 57 in the first edition. I have re-dated him to 55 and associated him with Crassus’ consulship.

Chapter 22 Publius Fonteius Capito: I have made a reassessment of the moneyer’s identity.

Chapter 23 Quintus Cassius Longinus: I have reconsidered the identification of the obverse head on one of the types Cassius minted.

Chapter 25 Marcus Valerius Messala: I have made a major reassessment of the interpretation of the reverse design.

Chapter 26 Quintus Pomponius Musa: I have redated his coins to ca. 52 and added a revision of his chapter from Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins 81 BCE- 64 BCE.

Chapter 30 Manius Acilius Glabrio: I have added a discussion on Caesar’s elephant coin.

Chapter 32 Quintus Sicinius: I have expanded the information on his joint issue with Coponius.

I have also added the Crawford numbers for the coins. They are now at the beginning of each chapter and appear elsewhere in the text in parentheses and are prefixed with RRC.

altanbilgen:
Hi Everyone,

I want to announce the new book by Professor Oguz Tekin "Balance Weights in the Aegean World. Classical and Hellenistic Periods"

Historically, balance weights are as old as the balances themselves. Actually, balance and weight examples of Mesopotamian, Egyptian and Hittite civilisations are known from wall paintings, reliefs, papyri and collections. However, the scope of this book is the balance weights produced and used in the Aegean world during the Classical and Hellenistic periods. Balance weights were among the instruments of public sphere (instrumenta publica) of antiquity and they constitute an important group of antiquities worth studying for their unit marks, symbols, depictions, inscriptions and ornaments. However, balance weights have been among the most neglected artefacts within archaeological research. Certainly, this work at handbook level should not be expected to fill the gap entirely, but rather call attention to this field. The examples were chosen from the city-states in the Aegean world and cover only those which bear ethnic or symbol (parasemon).

CONTENTS

FOREWORD

INTRODUCTION

Scope, material, and sources
    History of research in the light of basic publications

1. AN OVERVIEW OF WEIGHTS

Form, material, and manufacture
    Symbols (parasema) and other depictions
    Denominations
    Ethnic
    State guarantee (Demosion)

2. WEIGHT SYSTEMS, STANDARDS AND SOLON’S REFORM

Weight systems
    Standards and changes in the standards
    Solon’s reform

3. MARKET PLACES AND MARKET CONTROLLERS

Agoras and their functions
    Magistrates in charge of the agora and the weights

4. CITIES AND THEIR WEIGHTS

Athens
    Corinth
    Olympia
    Olynthos
    Thasos
    Maroneia
    Ainos
    Lysimachia
    Bisanthe
    Byzantion
    Kalchedon
    Kyzikos
    Lampsakos
    Abydos
    Ilion
    Tenedos
    Gentinos
    Alexandria Troas
    Skepsis
    Myrina
    Kyme
    Smyrna
    Chios
    Kolophon
    Ephesos
    Priene
    Miletos
    Alabanda
    Herakleia under Latmos
    Rhodos

GENERAL EVALUATION
APPENDICES

Appendix 1: Balances, steelyards and steelyard weights
    Appendix 2: Civic weights under the Roman Empire

ABBREVIATIONS AND BIBLIOGRAPHY
IMAGE SOURCES
TECHNICAL ABBREVIATIONS
GLOSSARY
PLATES

Where to buy,
https://www.zerobooksonline.com/eng/product_details.asp?cat=1&subcat=10&product=17491

tetsubu:
Recently, a new book, connected with Roman Numismatics, was published on Amazon: “Coinage of Roman Empresses, Volume I, Antonia Minor – Didia Clara, 41 – 193 AD”. This is the catalogue, which describes 295 denarii, struck in the name of Roman empresses. Each denarius is supplemented with a photo. The denarii are divided according to the reverse type, and the frequency of these denarii is given.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1547152419/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1496593325&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Coinage+of+Roman+Empresses

Joss:
Next tome of the HGC series by Oliver Hoover, this time on Italy.  :)
https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=368948

Anaximander:
The Royal Numismatic Society has brought to our attention that a new edition of RIC II (Part 3), is available for pre-order at Spink.  

The notice can be found on the RNS site (Publications):  https://numismatics.org.uk/society-publications-2/.

I have the second revised edition of Volume II (Part 1).  I am unclear on the availability of Part 2. Perhaps Part 3 was ready before Part 2.  Stranger things than that have happened...

Anaximander.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version