Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Happy C. Gothicvs  (Read 467 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Happy C. Gothicvs
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:47:10 am »
Other than a poorer obverse, a shovel slash (and an even poorer pic) might this be the same coin as [DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
IMP CLAVDIVS (PF AVG) radiate bust right, FELIC TE(MPO) Felicity left holding caduceus and long scepter, T (Ticinum) in ex. RIC 146
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Happy C. Gothicvs
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:56:20 am »
With P F in the obverse legend, it is RIC 145. The T is an officina mark, not a mintmark, the mint is Mediolanum (Mailand is German for Milano, the modern name of Mediolanum).

I had already wondered in March why Gorny rates that coin Rare, and the estimate of 500 EUR is nonsense. Of course nobody bought it; an estimate of 25 EUR would have been more realistic. I hope the CA-listing didn't lead you to expect a rarity.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 11:00:20 am »
is the mint indicated anywhere?
Wildwinds showed a similar specimen sold for $9, a far cry from the C.A. price and Van Meter rates it as VB1, common!
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:03:54 am »
No, this is a time where the coins do not yet have clear mintmarks. They can be differentiated by style; the CA-coin, for example, has a typical Mediolanum Claudius II. portrait: a large blown up back of the head with a rather small face.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Raymond

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:49:40 am »
typical Mediolanum Claudius II. portrait: a large blown up back of the head with a rather small face.
Right! Most C.G's picture him with a weasel-like pointy nose.   Thanks so much Lars.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity