Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach!!! Everything on our Hanukkah Gifts page is 10% off!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Merry Christmas!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins!!!

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: electronically available reference works  (Read 68333 times)

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: electronically available reference works
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2015, 09:27:03 am »
Andrew:

On archive.org in addition to the PDF versions there are also txt versions which likely are (uncorrected) OCR versions. I have noticed over the years that additional file formats appear but they are not finished off so I am not sure if this helps you.

Iwaniw

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2015, 11:38:10 am »
The Corpus Nummorum Thracorum project web site has uploaded scanned versions of 8 Griechisches Münzwerk volumes including both volumes of Byzantion. They are large pdf files (100-600 MB). The files are text searchable and the plates are pretty good.

http://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/resources_pdfLibrary.php

Volumes of 'Griechisches Münzwerk'
-Augusta Traiana Traianopolis
-Bisanthe Dikaia Selymbria
-Bizye
-Byzantion B1
-Byzantion B2
-Deultum
-Maroneia
-Perinth

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2015, 08:36:58 pm »
The 1921 Naville 1 Sale of the collection of Professor Samuel Pozzi (1846-1918) was something of a watershed in Greek numismatics, the catalogue of Greek gold and sliver coinage from his collection becoming a reference work for generations. Notwithstanding recent scholarship and advances it remains so to this day, frequently quoted in dealer attributions.

The full Naville I Sale catalogue of collection Pozzi (including plates reproduced in high quality) is now available online: http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/kundig_naville1921_04_04?sid=857856e3f737a663dbed98ff2a55b58f&ui_lang=eng

No serious Greek collector should be without it!  :)

Background: Professor Samuel Pozzi (1846-1918) was a prominent French surgeon in the late nineteenth century.  He introduced the concept of hygiene into hospitals of the time; washing his hands and instruments preparatory to an operation, or patient consultation. This had a major impact, reducing cross infection and the mortality rate. On 13 June 1918 he was murdered in his consulting room by a former patient who shot him four times. Pozzi built a wide-ranging collection of ancient Greek coins, which was auctioned three years after his untimely death. Almost a century later, the catalogue for that auction remains a reference source for Greek coins.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coinproject.com
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2015, 01:38:38 am »
I have quite a few of Imhoof-Blumer's books in pdf form, but I am still missing:

Imhoof-Blumer, Bithynische Münzen

Has anyone found a copy online?

Tom
Tom Mullally

Coin Project - Co-founder and Assistant Director

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2015, 09:34:33 am »
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044015454812;view=1up;seq=23

You may have to download a page at a time.

c.rhodes

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coinproject.com
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2015, 01:01:10 pm »
Thanks Charlie,

Is anyone here a partner member at Babel?

Tom
Tom Mullally

Coin Project - Co-founder and Assistant Director

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2017, 10:43:23 pm »
I'm not sure if this is old news, but just in case it isn't...

While searching for another hard-copy example of Numizmatikai Közlöny, XXXVI-XXXVII, 1937-1938, I found a Hungarian site that has the entire NK run scanned as very clear, high quality .pdfs.

If one has a xeroxed copy (or a copy of a copy of a...) of any of Alföldi's NK articles, this is an excellent way of improving the situation. It's not free, unless one is accessing from a number of academic sites, but for 20 euro a month, one can do a lot of downloading. I'd say it's an excellent deal.

https://adtplus.arcanum.hu/en/

Needless to say, there are heaps of other articles there, besides Alföldi.

G/<

Dicebamus hesterna die...

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2017, 08:52:04 am »
Thanks G/<,
Good to see you around my friend.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2017, 08:43:49 am »
I'm not sure if this is old news, but just in case it isn't...

While searching for another hard-copy example of Numizmatikai Közlöny, XXXVI-XXXVII, 1937-1938, I found a Hungarian site that has the entire NK run scanned as very clear, high quality .pdfs.

It is certainly news to me!  I expect that I'll be subscribing for a month and extracting a lot of articles.   Thank you.  Stkp

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • my albums
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2017, 12:12:59 pm »
I hope it is more cheeper if you ordered all of DVD- format because it is available on the Arcanum hompage:

https://adtplus.arcanum.hu/hu/collection/Numizmatika_Kiadvanyok/

but sorry all in Hungarian :(, but more than 20000 page...

Q.

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2017, 12:58:41 am »
Quote from: quadrans on March 13, 2017, 12:12:59 pm
I hope it is more cheeper if you ordered all of DVD- format because it is available on the Arcanum hompage:

https://adtplus.arcanum.hu/hu/collection/Numizmatika_Kiadvanyok/

but sorry all in Hungarian :(, but more than 20000 page...

The DVD is 40000 forints = USD $139.34

So while that is a good resource, 20 Euro is a good deal if one only needs some of the material from NK.
By the by, not all in Hungarian. E.g most of Alföldi's stuff is in German, actually.

But if someone offered me a DVD of all of the Numismatische Zeitschrift at that price, I'd buy it.

G/<

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2019, 12:27:47 pm »
Ulla Westermarks terrific article - complete with plates - about the Coinage of Acragus online at the University of Uppsala

https://uu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1189867/FULLTEXT03.pdf

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2020, 12:54:42 pm »
The following book is available in pdf format as a free Opensource download from the Brill Publishing website:

Rory Naismith (Editor): Money and Coinage in the Middle Ages
https://brill.com/view/title/38646?rskey=gGnkfW&result=1

Also, Brill is having a 40% off summer sale using the discount code 71276 (from the Brill Facebook page).

John Wilson Betlyon: The Coinage and Mints of Phoenicia: The Pre-Alexandrine Period
https://brill.com/view/title/39168?rskey=fTTm4k&result=1

is available for $20.40 in pdf version. A paperback version is also available plus shipping.

This is the 1982 Scholars Press Edition and is a standard reference for Phoenician mints in the period before Alexander's conquest. The quality of the plates in the pdf version appears to be reasonably good.
Eugene

Offline Anaximander

• Consul
  • Anaximander
    • Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2021, 07:19:46 am »
The online reference, if it can be called that, Historia Numorum Online (hno.huma-num.fr) has been cited a score of times in FAC's coin identification boards. Credit Altamura, Pekka K, and others for citing it. 

Don't confuse the online reference with FAC's own online publication of the Barclay Head's magnum opus in its 1911 edition.  The online site is a re-imagined database of coin types, much as the paper-based work of Keith Rutter, Historia Numorum Italy from 2001.

The online version is, to be sure, a 'work in progress' and not yet in print.

The first "volume" covers Caria, the second will cover  Sicily.
Chris “Anaximander” Thomsen. Member Since 2019.
My ForumAncientCoins gallery

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2021, 10:48:53 am »
Just to be clear, the NumisWiki version of Historia Numorum is no longer the 1911 edition. It is a wiki. Any member can modify or update it. The biggest changes, done by me, are updating the reference lists. I update these regularly when I become aware of new applicable references.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity