Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A very small number of Justinian I with monogram  (Read 421 times)

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
A very small number of Justinian I with monogram
« on: June 02, 2023, 02:54:09 am »
A very small number of Justinian I
This nummus is very small, has a diameter of 7 mm and weighs 0.57 g. It was minted by the Antioch mint, DOC 272. With a similar design, the same monogram enclosed in an epsilon, there is also the relatively rare pentanummus. The nummus, on the other hand, is really very rare despite having been minted in abundance, since its minimal size has decreed the disappearance of almost all specimens.
On the obverse is the bust of Justinian facing right: but it requires an act of faith.
On the reverse, his monogram with the letters arranged at the top of a cross.

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Re: A very small number of Justinian I with monogram
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 12:13:10 am »
To me, this looks like SBCV 387 DO 149 (which MIBE re-attributed to the reign of Justin I - MIBE NN67).  I can't read the obverse legend, but the reverse monogram seems to match - one key attribute is the lack of a circle in the center of the monogram.

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: A very small number of Justinian I with monogram
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 12:32:56 am »
Thanks.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity