Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange Justinian solidus - Hybrid or Fake?  (Read 462 times)

Gabor P2

Strange Justinian solidus - Hybrid or Fake?
« on: January 23, 2023, 03:31:56 pm »
Hello,

I bought a Justinian gold solidus a few years ago from a professional numismatic shop, whose style is far from the typical.
Is seems to be a transition between the early and late type of coins of the emperor.
On the observe, the position of the head and the style of the letters look like the early coins, nevertheless, there is a globus cruciger in the right hand instead of a spear.
On the reverse, the angel holds the early-type long cross instead of the late-type long staff terminating in Christogram.

I suppose, the total switch to the new and more style might not happened in a day, and the artists of the mints needed time to change their style.
I attached three coins (mine is in the middle) which were stuck at the same mint in Constantinople (B - 2nd officina).

Could this be a hybrid coin made in the days of changing, or it may be just a joke of a modern counterfeiter?
What is your opinion?
Thanks for any comment!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity