Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help to clean this Gallienus coin  (Read 279 times)

Offline Rafael Augusto De Mattos F

• Consul
Help to clean this Gallienus coin
« on: September 29, 2022, 04:55:37 pm »
Hi guys, how can I "clean" this coin, removing this very hard malachite deposits on it? I think the coin is good below all this malachite... Thanks!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Help to clean this Gallienus coin
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 09:38:00 am »
Malachite will "pop" off with a scalpel if the underlying condition is right.

I have done this numerous times on silvered coins - you can see some examples in the "sticky" post about cleaning silvered Roman coins.

However, I don't know about the surface state of your coin.

Personally I would use a scalpel under magnification and clean some of the dirt encrustations off and also try to gently pop/lift off some of the malachite  - starting with small out of the way bit.  If it doesn't work you may have to leave the malachite.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity