Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Visiting Rome this week  (Read 811 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Visiting Rome this week
« on: August 18, 2022, 04:31:57 pm »
As an aside, I'm visiting Rome this week.  Can't really post photos as I can't resize them on my phone, but will share some snaps when I get back. Biggest disappointment so far is the Augustan mosoleum is again closed for renovations. I've never been able to go, it's always being renovated when I'm in town.

Haven't seen any coin shops yet, but hope springs eternal.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Visiting Rome this week
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 06:21:27 pm »
Hi Ron,

Have a great time. Disappointing that the Augustan mausoleum is closed. On the bright side, it gives you a reason to return.

All the best,

Tracy

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 07:59:30 pm »
Have fun Ron!  I'm going home soon but won't be up to Rome.  I'll be near ancient Terina in the heart of  Bruttium,  Might make my way up to Paestum but mostly just hitting the beach!

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 01:45:57 am »
Nice Jay, sounds great! I'm also going to be in Florence and Venice over the next 1.5 weeks. If anyone can recommend a decent ancient coin shop in the Rome city center, please do!
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 03:11:04 am »
Augustan mosoleum is again closed for renovations.

As they write on the Roman tourism website, the work concerns the square around the mausoleum and began on June 6: http://060608.it/en/cultura-e-svago/beni-culturali/beni-archeologici/mausoleo-di-augusto.html. They couldn't do it together with the renovation of the mausoleum? The quirkiness of Italian renovations - they closed it again after fifteen months ...

Among other things, I am waiting for the opening of the Museum of Roman Civilization in the EUR district. As it is far from the center, I didn't find out about it until 2015 and it had been closed for a year then. So far I can't find out if and when it will be reopened. Some renovation is going on, but nothing concrete can be found out.

Offline septimus

• Consul
    • Monnaies de Septime Sévère et sa famille (193-217)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 07:24:22 am »
The mausoleum was opened in May when I was there, sorry to hear to hear that it's closed again!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity