Ancient Coin Discussions In Other Languages > Forum numizmatyki antycznej po polsku

TICINUM nieznana emisja gwiazdka i księżyc

<< < (2/2)

Merinda:

--- Quote from: Lech Stępniewski on June 20, 2022, 05:56:44 am ---
--- Quote from: Merinda on June 20, 2022, 05:40:36 am ---The bottom example looks unofficial to me - the bust has the fat head especially at the top that seems to be characteristic of imitations

--- End quote ---

I agree that this portrait is not the best, but the rest is good, especially the lettering and the whole layout of the mintmark. Besides, if we even assume that this is an ancient imitation, that means that there was also an imitated original.

--- End quote ---

Agree that there needs to be an original to be imitated, but as the attached shows, multiple coins can inspire an imitation: Arles mint signature, Ticinum crescent and Aquileia / Rome wreaths !

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Merinda on June 24, 2022, 04:48:30 pm ---multiple coins can inspire an imitation: Arles mint signature, Ticinum crescent and Aquileia / Rome wreaths !

--- End quote ---

I agree that there are also imitations that look like "fantasy coins", and usually rather ugly. Well, if I were a forger I think I would prefer to copy one existing type. It would probably be simpler to put it into circulation along with other similar coins. Pure chance in creating such complicated mintmark cannot be absolutely excluded, but it is very unlikely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version