Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marc Antony Legionary Denarii, finally started a gallery  (Read 938 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Marc Antony Legionary Denarii, finally started a gallery
« on: June 12, 2022, 11:50:07 am »

Well, I finally began a gallery. Just made an album of 15 Legionary denarii of Marc Antony with minimal descriptions. My approach to this collection is to acquire the 27 different coins of this issue which I think are attainable in terms of availability and affordability in an average grade of Fine. I would welcome any and all input about the gallery presentation, my approach to this collection, and of course the coins themselves. 
I also re-read the “pigeonary” threads here on FORVM. To be sure, some of those those so called eagles look suspect to even my less experienced eye. But upon reviewing hundreds of examples in members’ galleries, Wildwinds, asearch, and auction listings (past and future), it seems there is no bright line between a to-be derided pigeon and an eagle on these coins. Plainly, there are numerous examples of accepted-as-genuine coins which deviate in style from the almost entirely horizontally oriented, sleek bodied, menacing faced eagles. Many such examples have a downward protruding belly to some degree, raised heads, and a softer countenance.
So, am I focusing too much on the style of the eagle in trying to understand what a “pigeonary” is and are there some bright line indicators I’ve missed?
Finally, how do you attach a link to your gallery when signing posts like many do ? Must you copy and paste each time or is there an automatic way to do it ? I’ve tried to post a link below.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Members' Coin Collection Galleries > Ken W2 > Marc Antony Legionary Denarii

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Re: Marc Antony Legionary Denarii, finally started a gallery
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 01:41:06 pm »
I think I figured out the gallery link question. If I did it correctly the answer was right there in the FAQs. Didn’t realize it’s part of a signature block you add in profile.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 05:58:56 pm »
You're well on your way.  Now for the tough ones! :)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 12:41:46 am »
Great gallery start and what a great collecting area. Very nice coins. I keep saying I am going to start a gallery, yours gives me some incentive to do do.

Virgil

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 07:42:38 am »
Nicely done, Ken.  I admire your laser-like focus on Marc Antony legionary denari. What a profound period of history and such compelling persons. 

I see that you are citing RIC and CRI for your coins. The latter, David Sear's "The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators, 49-27 BC," is a particularly useful reference.  It took me a while to find a copy.

TenthGen has a nice post of his coin tray of legionary denari.

I'm not tuned-in to the topic of "pigeonary" eagles, so I guess I'll have to keep my ear to the ground.  I have been focused on the gallies rather than standards or eagles, and have seen echos of the legionary denari down the ages (Marcus Aurelius comes to mind).

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 11:52:43 am »
Thanks for sharing your collection. Best of luck completing the series. It will be a challenge, but I think that might be what makes it worthwhile and fun.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 10:50:18 pm »

Thanks for the input fellows. Now that I’ve learned to navigate the gallery making process at least a little, I’ll add some of my RSCs as time allows with full attributions.
Yes, I’ve enjoyed having Sear’s CRI. Also just received a copy of Shawn’s handbook on LRB types. I can’t offer a review yet, other than to say I know I’ll enjoy the large color plates. That may seem like a minor thing, but it’s enjoyable to see the coins referenced/depicted without magnification!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 10:56:12 pm »
The Imperators book is a must for anyone interested in that time period.  I've neglected my Antony collection in favour of the Flavians of late, but I'm always looking.  I have some write ups on the legions in my gallery:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1822

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 11:30:54 pm »

Jay: OMG, what a collection and gallery! How about you stick with the Flavians, at least a while longer ? There’s already enough competition out there (just kidding, sort of 😁).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity