Ancient Coin Discussions In Other Languages > Forum numizmatyki antycznej po polsku

Suspicious Diocletianus follis Antioch

(1/4) > >>

Din X:
The style reminds me on the other fakes we haev discussed before and no or artificial patina/toning.
On reverse the L (at about 2 o´clock) looks like a Greek Gamma.

Legend should be POPVLI  and not POPV :Greek_Gamma: I

Not sure if there is something like at ghost line ar 11´o clock on reverse near rim or if the picture is misleading.

Other opinions and if available die matches or die links are very much appreciated!

Pekka K:
Göttingen has a follis with same reverse:

https://www.kenom.de/objekt/record_DE-MUS-062622_kenom_200806/2/

Pekka K

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Din X on April 14, 2022, 03:54:25 am ---The style reminds me on the other fakes we haev discussed before and no or artificial patina/toning.

--- End quote ---

You are probably right. It is like feel of something similar.

--- Quote from: Din X on April 14, 2022, 03:54:25 am ---On reverse the L (at about 2 o´clock) looks like a Greek Gamma.

--- End quote ---

Lettering is sloppy. Look at the "A" in ANT. Just reversed "V"

--- Quote from: Din X on April 14, 2022, 03:54:25 am ---Not sure if there is something like at ghost line ar 11´o clock on reverse near rim or if the picture is misleading.

--- End quote ---

I also see this ghost line but we look at the same picture so we could be both deceived.

Lech Stępniewski:
Din you are absolutely right! Congratulations on your hawk eye! I just found a coin that is a link between this reverse and the characteristic Diocletian obverse that has already appeared on coins identified as forgeries.

Funny thing is, I found this coin on my own site (there are almost 14,000 coins now, so I can't remember them all). I must have added it a long time ago and then recognized it as an engraver's error in obverse legend ("C" omitted). Now of course I will have to change that description.

Heliodromus:

--- Quote ---Göttingen has a follis with same reverse
--- End quote ---

There's something wrong with the U.Gottingen collection ... this is now at least the 4th fake from this source that has been found there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version