Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Late Palaeologan follaro ?  (Read 800 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Late Palaeologan follaro ?
« on: April 10, 2022, 03:43:21 pm »
Hello. Please help me to identify this coin.
15 mm, 0.63 gr

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Late Palaeologan follaro ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 07:13:34 pm »
I cannot make out the reverse, the obverse seems to match Maunuel II Tornese, Honestly, I am uncertain what separates the follaro with Tornese.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 05:25:39 pm »
The closest type of bust is 1/8 stavraton of John V with stars in field (Sear 2512, DOC V 1249-50, Lianta 881-885). But my coin is copper  ???

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 09:39:02 pm »
I am looking at Lianta but a color version of the photos, the three indicators I was using to attribute was it is AE, has a full circular legend and the stars by the emperors head, Also he has no design on his chest,  again I could not make out anything on the reverse ( or might be obverse.) 

My idea was something like Lianta 1006 18mm 2.15gm , the others listed seem to be 15mm but weight around 2.gm , your coin is smaller and light like a follaro. I saw no match for either ruler.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity