Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RML. What does this acronym stand for?  (Read 746 times)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
RML. What does this acronym stand for?
« on: April 04, 2022, 07:56:20 am »
When describing coins from the London mint, Roma Numismatics gives the RIC number, the Cloke-Toone number and also RML number. RML is marked as "forthcoming". Is RML an abbreviation of the title of a new reference book? "Roman Mint of London"?
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: RML. What does this acronym stand for?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 10:00:47 am »
I have no idea, it is even not mentioned in the quite extensive bibliography of Roma: https://www.romanumismatics.com/index.php?option=com_bibliography&task=getBibliography&alphabet=R

But you could just write them and ask :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 10:17:41 am »
But you could just write them and ask :).

Yes, I know. But I thought it might be obvious to someone here, and it's easier to write on the forum.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 04:49:42 pm »
RML is the abbreviation of Roman Mint of London by Ken Elks, a forthcoming reference work.
DT

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 07:53:37 pm »
Thank you, Dominic. Maybe you also know the reason to prepare another reference book about London mint after the Cloke-Toone book?
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 03:13:57 am »
Hi,

The Elks book has been in preparation a long, long time (I've seen bits of an early draft a number of years ago) and was started before Hugh and Lee began work on their book.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 06:18:28 am »
Hi Mauseus.

Since Roma Numismatics gives numbers assigned to specific varieties, I guess that means the book has been completed and the author is looking for a publisher. Perhaps it exists in electronic form. But I don't know what the point is of giving numbers from a book that is practically non-existent.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 05:56:45 pm »
Thank you, Dominic. Maybe you also know the reason to prepare another reference book about London mint after the Cloke-Toone book?

The answer from Mr. Elks himself: « Essentially it will be the same, as we were both dealing with the same material. However,  some of what I wrote deals with different aspects of the subject and sets it into context.  To some extent, I believe that both works have equal validity and usefulness.  Being somewhat later in publishing my book does include coins not known to Hugh and Lee ».

DT

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 06:52:58 pm »
Thank you again, Dominic.

Being somewhat later in publishing my book does include coins not known to Hugh and Lee ».

Is Mr. Elks not aware that Cloke and Toone have prepared a 28-page supplement to their book, and there are already a bunch of coins online for the second supplement?
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 08:30:41 pm »
Don’t know the answer and won’t ask…But it reminds me what happened in the beginning of the 2010’s years when a very complete book about the Antoniniani of the Gallic rulers was published with its own reference numbers…while in the same time Mairat was completing his super 800 pages (without the plates !) thesis about the coinage of the Gallic Empire. Sadly one of them was completely forgotten… I hope it won’t happen again.
DT

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 05:37:20 am »
I am familiar with Mairat's thesis. Admittedly, the Gallic empire is not my area of interest, but I am a fan of electronic sources and fully illustrated catalogs. Over four hundred color plates is something I don't think any publisher would accept. The book would probably then have to cost a fortune.

The only thing I don't like is the placement of several small pictures on one plate - like in traditional books. They can be enlarged, but to a limited extent. The author probably collected much bigger pictures, so if such a catalog was made in the form of a website the result would be much better.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 11:56:04 am »
Hi,

Schulzki’s book on Gallic antoniniani, from 1997(?), was forgotten because it wasn't a success. Weder’s corrections and additions from the two SNR papers are needed.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 07:49:23 pm »
In fact I was talking about the Parisot/Prieur/Schmidt’s book from 2011.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 03:19:48 am »
They made a better go of it than Schulzki from what I recall, having looked through a copy some time back.

Mauseus

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2022, 02:10:37 pm »
"Is Mr. Elks not aware that Cloke and Toone have prepared a 28-page supplement to their book, and there are already a bunch of coins online for the second supplement?"

Did Mr. Elks mention when or where his book will be available for purchase?

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2022, 02:27:51 pm »
He wrote in a private conversation: « Once my book has been published, which should be soon now, I intend to update the online version of the London mint ».
DT

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2022, 02:29:23 pm »
Great, thanks.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 08:40:05 am »
I worked on my book for over ten years from conception to publishing.  It was a labour of love that will never "pay" for itself no matter how many sell.  I spent time working on it as a hobby.  I lived in fear that as it approached completion someone else would publish a book on the same topic - and a better one at that.

So I have sympathy for authors whose work is "overtaken" or faces a competitor right out of the gate or soon after publishing.  Totally natural instinct to want to get it finished and published, even if to outside observers it doesn't end up adding much.  (And of course we don't know if that is the case here.)

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity