Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Chinese Cast Coins - Recommended Readings  (Read 322 times)

Offline MrStrata

• Legionary
Chinese Cast Coins - Recommended Readings
« on: March 10, 2022, 06:03:49 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I've recently began collecting Ancient Chinese Cast Coins, and have been slowly collecting sources for identification, attribution, and authentication such as Hartill's Ancient Chinese Cast Coins, Gorny's Northern Song Variety Guide, and a couple books by Gratzer and Fishman for Wu Zhu and First round coins.

My understanding is that authentication has been a real problem for Chinese cast coins and I wanted to ask if there were recommended readings, studies, or manuscripts within the last 10 years or so (either in English or Chinese) particularly on the topic of authentication.

Thanks!

P.S. apologies if someone has already posted on this topic or if it is in the wrong place. I am also new to FORVM Ancient.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Chinese Cast Coins - Recommended Readings
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 06:07:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

You seem to have gathered all the main modern books on Chinese cash.  There are two more scholarly works on Chinese numismatics:

A Monetary History of China, by Peng Xinwei (translated by Edward H. Kaplan of the Center for East Asian Studies in 1994).

Les monnaies de la Chine ancienne, by François Thierry.  (If you read French.)

Unfortunately, neither these two, nor the others you listed, really help with the issue of authentification.  I frankly don't know any book or article that covers this - with the exception of articles on the metallic composition of Chinese cash.  However those are useless for authentification unless you happen to have an X-ray fluorescence machine in your basement.

The best idea is to look at images of genuine and fake examples.  There are some in the fakes section of the forum.  I believe that there are still some websites dedicated to this subject.  And zeno.ru can't be beat for the sheer number of images of cash in general and it has a fakes section for each dynastic period.

It is also important to recognize that the field is quite complicated.  In addition to genuine official Chinese cash and modern fakes, there are other categories including ancient (aka contemporary) copies from China, and ancient copies from other places like Japan, Vietnam and Indonesia - some of which are copies of other copies.  So you can have cash that are under-sized, under-weight or with odd calligraphy that are still genuinely ancient.

Generally, in my experience, fakes of common low value cash do exist but can be fairly easy to detect with a little experience.  For the rarer stuff I would fall back on the standard "rules" - know and trust the dealer, if it is too good to be true it is, there are no "steals" out there, etc.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline MrStrata

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 12:59:27 pm »
Thanks! That is extremely helpful!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 08:16:51 pm »
Most of the fakes are very obvious after a little experience with the coins.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity