Ancient Coin Discussions In Other Languages > Forum numizmatyki antycznej po polsku

Dioklecjan Providentia Antiochia

(1/10) > >>

Lech Stępniewski:
Coraz mniej nowych odmian udaje się znaleźć, ale przy ostatniej aktualizacji "Not in RIC" trafił się miły drobiazg.

Jest to znany typ follisa/nummusa, wybijany we wszystkich mennicach zaraz po abdykacji Dioklecjana i Maksymiana Herkuliusza, a w Antiochii i Aleksandrii (to domena Maksymina Dai) szczególnie długo - aż do śmierci Galeriusza. Ale, co charakterystyczne, tak długo wyłącznie dla Dioklecjana. Maksymin mógł bowiem denerwować swoją niekonsekwencją, próbami powrotu do władzy etc., a Dioklecjan był potulny i nie sprawiał kłopotów.

Ten konkretny wariant ze znakiem menniczym, którego integralną częścią jest widoczny pośrodku ołtarz, jednak nie został odnotowany w RIC. Autor VI tomu, Sutherland, zamieścił jedynie na stronie 633 następującą uwagę:

--- Quote ---[Note. Kent, N.C. 1957, p. 69, no. 1087 and VG. 28, off Δ, both include this type under the present mark. Though this may exist I have not yet seen any example of it.]
--- End quote ---

Czyli i Kent, i Voetter prawdopodobnie tę odmianę widzieli, a Sutherland nie widział - nawet na zdjęciu.

Znalezisko jest więc tym milsze, że Sutherland o tej odmianie wiedział, szukał jej, ale nie umiał znaleźć potwierdzenia. A mnie się udało. Nie mam pewności, czy bylem pierwszy, więc jeśli gdzieś już ktoś zamieścił zdjęcie tej odmiany, proszę o wiadomość.

Heliodromus:
I can't believe I missed that one !  :(

It's interesting how the altar is included here (as expected, since it's the issue mark), but then omitted on the next two issues where we only have * and u instead of */altar and u/altar.

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Heliodromus on December 08, 2021, 01:54:10 pm ---It's interesting how the altar is included here (as expected, since it's the issue mark), but then omitted on the next two issues where we only have * and u instead of */altar and u/altar.

--- End quote ---

BTW I have attested officina A for ANTIOCHIA 149-150  (:crescent:)  but have not seen yet A for ANTIOCHIA 136 (:star:) and ANTIOCHIA 137 (with legend FELICISSIMO). Do you know anything about these types?

Heliodromus:
No, I haven't seen officina A for RIC 136-137. RIC claims Vienna has 136. It's possible only D exists since Daia only seems to have used one officina at a time for these later PROV QVIES issues.

Coins with :crescent: (i.e "RIC 149-150") seem to exist in two versions:

1) Coins from officina A with :crescent: positioned closer to center of coin
2) Coins from officina D with :crescent: positioned close to top of coin

These may be separate issues.

I suspect the officina A coins with lower/center :crescent: are from the earlier RIC 103-109 issue (which actually only has "ANT dot" for CAESARIS, "ANT" for everything else).

The PROV QVIES coins from the */altar and u/altar issues seem to be from officina D, without altar, and with the  :star: or  :crescent: at the top of the coin.

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Heliodromus on December 08, 2021, 04:15:54 pm ---Coins with :crescent: (i.e "RIC 149-150") seem to exist in two versions:

1) Coins from officina A with :crescent: positioned closer to center of coin
2) Coins from officina D with :crescent: positioned close to top of coin

These may be separate issues.

I suspect the officina A coins with lower/center :crescent: are from the earlier RIC 103-109 issue (which actually only has "ANT dot" for CAESARIS, "ANT" for everything else).

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is possible that ANTIOCHIA 96-97 were continued without dot in exergue (it is hard to find example of this type with clear dot), a dot could be omitted or obliterated etc.

However, the position of crescent could be different simply because engravers from officina A and  :Greek_Delta: had different aesthetic concepts. Maybe engraver from officina  :Greek_Delta: thought that crescent between heads of Providentia and Quies is an artistic nonsense (if so, he was right). I wonder why this crescent wasn't placed just above officina letter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version