Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID help please - Roman Provincial?  (Read 612 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
ID help please - Roman Provincial?
« on: November 25, 2021, 12:47:07 pm »
I’m finding it difficult to place this coin. 
Obv.  Laurette bust right. I can't resolve the Greek  legend.  Series of pellets on right shoulder.  Rec. Victory standing left, right arm raised, possibly holding a wreath? Object or figure in the field to the left of Victory? I can't resolve the Greek  legend.
 20.8 -21.5mm 8.6gr axis 7hr
Thanks

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: ID help please - Roman Provincial?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 05:09:07 pm »
The reverse might start with a form of Makedonon - Macedonia.  The Koinon of Macedonia???

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Oceanbreeze

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 10:52:54 pm »
Obv: AY K M IOYL FILIPPOC
Rev: QECCALONIKEWN NEWKO
as I see it
So Philip I in this case. Thessalonica, Macedon. There is a coin similar to yours with Nike holding apples.

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 04:40:29 am »
Great stuff. You have it exactly!
Many thanks

All coins are guaranteed for eternity