Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any books on Afghanistan Ancient/Medieval Coins?  (Read 383 times)

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
Any books on Afghanistan Ancient/Medieval Coins?
« on: September 23, 2021, 08:01:20 pm »
Does anyone know of a book that deals with of focuses on coins of Afghanisan that includes the non-Greek coinage? Ideally, I would like both covered. I did a search and didn't come up with anything that looked like it fit the bill. I am interested in ancient and medieval as opposed to modern coinage.

Thank you,
Virgil

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: AAnt books on Afghanistan Ancient/Medieval Coins?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 09:11:44 pm »

You can find some books in Numiswiki by searching "Afghanistan"

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/search.asp
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Any books on Afghanistan Ancient/Medieval Coins?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:04:16 pm »
Thank Victor, didn't think of that.

Virgil

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 05:34:00 pm »
Afghanistan was often part of a larger polity so its coinage is often found in works that are not concentrated solely on Afghanistan - for example works on Bactrian, Mauryan, Kushan, Hephthalite, Ghaznavid and Ghorid coinage. 

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 07:37:43 pm »
Thanks, Shawn, that makes total sense. Since I was in Ghazni, one of most interest to me is the Ghaznavid dynasty that I know of, but know little about. Everything I have found concentrates on Indo-Greeks and then much less on Kushans. I believe the coin I got is very much related to the Kushans, as well as some Hunnic coinage, perhaps. This is a new area for me, have read a lot of history about the graveyard of empires and have even seen British graveyards overgrown and now (in 2011, in any case) grazed by goats and sheep (I even wrote a poem about this particular topic). I will look for some of these more specific topics. And I am still waiting for your book, hopefully it will be released in October like they said it would after shifting the US release. I am really looking forward to it as I have opened up some new interests in late Roman coinage.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 08:54:40 am »
Virgil,

Unfortunately I don’t know of any good books dedicated to Ghaznavid coinage.

Mitchiner’s large and expensive The World of Islam covers a few Ghaznavid coins. 

Michael Broome’s A Handbook of Islamic Coins (Spink) is a good book to get.  It is not a catalogue but a general guide covering Islamic coins from the beginning to the 20th century in just over 200 pages.  And it is softcover and relatively cheap. The first four pages of Chapter 3 - Invasion from the East - are dedicated to the Ghaznavids.  Plus it briefly covers Samanid and Qarakhanid coinage, which are often found in northern Afghanistan. 

For my very few Ghaznavid coins I used a couple of collection websites:

The Ghaznavid page of COININDIA
http://coinindia.com/galleries-ghaznavid.html

and Numista
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/ghaznavid_dynasty-1.html

to get the general identification and then confirmed/refined identification through Zeno.ru

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 01:00:23 pm »
Virgil,

There is of course Stephen Album's Checklist of Islamic Coins.

I can't offer much assistance with respect to the Ghaznavids (I only have one coin). However, I have a gallery that includes Jitals from the Shahis, issued in parts of Afghanistan and Northern India. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4062
Robert Tye's book may be of assistance.

Stkp

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 09:48:14 am »
Yes, Album's book is good for the history and structure, and is available from his website as a download for free.

But it is unillustrated and so not good for identification purposes.

I have two Ghaznavid AR "gaming" dirhams - which were struck by massed and several other governors.  However, even using zeno.ru I have never been able to find an absolute match or even narrow down to the right governor.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity