Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Anonymous sextans

(1/1)

Per D:
Hi all,

I am trying to attribute a few republican bronzes, without much success I’m afraid. Any suggestions about this anonymous sextans would be much appreciated.

The weight is 6,32 g, diameter c. 19 mm, and the reverse is slightly concave. While the ROMA is visible I can’t see any traces of the value marks on either side of the coin.

Thanks in advance.

PMah:
A "sextans" without the two pellets is ... a semuncia.   Mercury is depicted on the obverse of both, and the semuncia has no mark of value.   Your coin looks clear enough to rule out worn off pellets.  Weight, dimension and style can vary among issues.   It can be fun to research deeper in these bronzes.

Try Andrew McCabe's pages for more precision:

http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/RRC056.html

Per D:
Thank you!

As a complete novice in RR coinage I got lost in the thickets of Crawford, CRRO, and McCabe's re-arrangement and missed the obvious.

PMah:
Certainly not easy!  Crawford lumps quite a few anonymous groups together and, even with McCabe, it helps to have clear photos and measurements.   The early struck coins such as your semuncia were used very heavily and are typically quite worn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version