Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown square weight?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Unknown square weight?
« on: April 28, 2021, 12:48:42 pm »
Hi,
Looking for help with a rectangular metal object that I assume is a weight that came with a group of mainly Byzantine weights. There was an Arabic two dirham weight in the group plus the object here.

Rectangular bronze, 11mm by 12mm, weighing 2.5 grammes (to one decimal place). Geometric design one side and "H" design incuse on the other so the two square spaces top and bottom are raised.

Any help you can offer would be good.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
Re: Unknown square weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 02:59:43 am »
Hi,
In my opinion, this metal object is a fragment of a ring, perhaps a signet ring. The ring band was sawn off, which is why the remains of the ring cross-section can still be seen on the back. Such objects can be dated to the 10th to 12th centuries.
Basil

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Unknown square weight?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 05:25:28 am »
Hi,
Thankyou, that interpretation makes sense.
Regards,
Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity