Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: In the Roman world real men ate cereal.  (Read 400 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
In the Roman world real men ate cereal.
« on: September 13, 2021, 09:34:51 am »
According to an analysis of isotopes found in human bones at Herculaneum, men ate more cereals and seafood, and women ate more eggs, dairy, and meat from terrestrial animals.

See-

https://www.extension13.com/2021/08/26/men-and-women-had-different-diets-in-this-ancient-roman-town-destroyed-by-a-volcano/

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: In the Roman world real men ate cereal.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 10:58:43 pm »
This is fascinating and does not imply any real inequality in foods eaten by each gender. If anything, the women had possibly better diets. The thing that came to mind with me is that traditional fishermen eat a lot of fish. I spent many days on a Turkish fishing boat on the Black Sea. We brought salt, bread and veggies and ate fish caught during the day, usually anchovy type small fish that were grilled. Water, raki, and beer rounded out the meals.The rest of the fish got sold in port. Eating at Turkish homes, there was also seafood a lot, but more often than not it was more of a snack of yogurt and things like strawberries in season. And always bread. A big meal for guests, of course, was more elaborate. The stuff I had at friend's homes were things they produced themselves, from goat milk and the garden.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity