Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with Phocas light weight Solidi  (Read 500 times)

Pendrakon

Help with Phocas light weight Solidi
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:30:58 pm »
I need help attributing a Phocas light weight solidi I just got. The closest I can get is Seaby 626. Your help is much appreciated again. 20mm, and about 4.1 grams (about because I need to recalibrate). Obverse is a normal DN FOCAS PERP AVG. The reverse is where I am having a problem. With star and CONOB in ex. VICTORI- A AVGG GD. Any ideas?

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: Help with Phocas light weight Solidi
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »
Hi,

unfortunately this coin is a problem, indeed. It is a published fake, listed in the fake reports and also shown in the Sear fake section as type F28.

Send it back and get your money!

The star on the reverse is misleading. It must be accompanied with a star on the obverse!

Only on very rare early light-weight issues with Phocas having pendilia on his crown, the star on the obverse may be absent. These are the types MIBEC 13b and MIBEC 13c. Only about 5 specimens are known in total.

byzcoll

Pendrakon

Re: Help with Phocas light weight Solidi
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 04:30:35 am »
Thanks! Not exactly the answer I wanted but at least now I know to check the fake reports better next time.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity