Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

High hair-style empress

(1/2) > >>

helvetica:
I've seen this lady somewhere before and can't remember who it is. ??? I am sure somebody will recognise that high hair style and point me in the right direction..
Thanks

LordBest:
Julia Titi or Domitia. Possibly Plotina, Marciana or Matidia.
                              LordBest. 8)

divo:
Just a guess But it looks like sabina to me.

divo

Alex:
My first guess would be Domitia.

helvetica:
Well the odd thing is, if you look at the obverse Domitia Provincial coin from Wildwinds on the pic below, you will see that the "bulge" in the headdress, its angle, the thin plait down the back of the neck and the "look" are identical to those on my coin. But I can't find any coin like mine e.g. on the Moushmov site.
Last night I looked through just about every website on the Internet of coins of Domitia,  Julia Titi, Plotina, Marciana, Matidia and Sabina. I think I managed to shorten the list of possibles to Domitia or Sabina.
RIC II does not give any suitable coins for Domitia with such a hairdo AND anyone seated. Sabina did, but the picture of the obverse of that type (RIC II Plate XVI, lost my notes with the number..) showed her "headdress" further back and not as angled. She also looks older. The Domitia on Wildwinds is near as dammit identical from the hair and the general "look". But I have been unable to find this kind of bust anywhere else. I was up half the night searching.
If anyone has any URLs of where any such coins can be found, it'd be great.
Unfortunately not much of the legend is visible (except an A on the right of the reverse), although I may be able to compare it with any found.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version