Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: stater - beginner's question  (Read 2611 times)

boreas

stater - beginner's question
« on: July 27, 2011, 01:54:58 pm »
Hi there,

Very recently, after visiting a museum collection, I started to read about Greek coins (but I am no professional and not yet a collector).

I have a beginner's problem which I haven't been able to solve: in several catalogues, there are coins named stateres and other ones named tetradrachms, but why? I read that the stater is valued to tetradrachms or didrachms, depending on time and place, but I can't understand why similar coins are classified as stater on one page, and as a drachma multiple on the next.

To put it differently, if I wanted to classify a tetradrachm from Athens, why should I call it a stater? And is the difference between tetradrachms, didrachms, drachms and so forth only based on their weight?

I am sorry to bother you all with such simple questions, but I can't find the answers elsewhere.

Many thanks.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: stater - beginner's question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:05:08 pm »
I think there are some coin types where it's not clear what they are but mostly it is and an Athenian Tet really shouldn't be called a stater.
Andreas Reich

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:31:55 am »
Bump.  While I've learned something about Roman standards and coins, I don't know anything about Greek coins, weights, and standards.  I also see tets and staters.  Can someone give a general overview of Greek coin denominations (before Roman conquest)? 

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:12:38 am »
This is quite an arcane subject.  However, the short answer is that what determines when a stater is termed that, rather than a didrachm, is little more than popular usage.

The original stater was the primary denomination of the early coinage (after the cessation of usage of naturally occurring electrum) in parts of Asia Minor and was based on a fixed weight of gold. Stater in this sense is a numismatic term for the primary denomination off which all other denominations are keyed e.g hemistater being half a stater.

Coinage when initially struck in gold poor Greece was based on a primary denomination in silver (valued at roughly one tenth that of gold by weight). This occurred in Aegina with the primary denomination being a coin of 12.2 gm of silver. This came to be called a stater by numismatists, though what the ancient Greeks called it is unknown to me, and I suspect everyone else.

This name sticks, although technically it could equally well be called a didrachm as shown in the simple summary of weight standards below from Morkholm's publication Early Hellenistic Coinage.  The key point of this table is that the stater/didrachm is a primary denomination in all Greek weight systems, albeit with a different weight of silver being the basis of each system.

So far so good? Then the Athenians moved to a light stater/didrachm based system of ca. 8.5 gm silver for the primary denomination. This is called a didrachm, rather than a stater by numismatists for no other reason that the Greek equivalent of the word drachm was what half a didrachm (or hemistater) was called in Athens (or so I am led to believe). Thus we call an Attic weight standard tetradrachm exactly that rather than a Distater.

Now to add to the confusion a stater as called by numismatists in the Attic Weight system reserved for a denomination in gold with a base unit weight of 8.6 gms.

Confused? Most people (including me) are by this stage and we have yet to move on to the Phoenician Shekel, Persian Daric and Siglos, or the Litra of Sicily, which was based on a primary unit in bronze.

Morkolm's Early Hellenistic Coinage has a nice summary of the evolution of these weight systems and a more expansive explanation can be found in the Preface to any of the volumes of Oliver Hoover's The Handbook of Greek Coinage.

At the bottom of this thread is a more comprehensive overview of weight standards https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=10182.0

Some nice pictures and a very high level summary of denominations can be found here http://www.classicalcoins.com/denominations.html

PS  This is why we have some coins such as the Babylonian Baal/Lion coins called variously lion staters or tetradrachms, sometimes simultaneously in the one publication!

Similarly you will see Carthaginian coins described as 1 1/2 Shekels or Tridrachms... not much sense in either case as we have no idea what they were really called.  The Carthaginians being of Phoenician extraction, I suspect they were originally struck by the Carthaginians with a lower silver to gold value than the Phoenician Shekel, reflecting Carthage's original gold based economy, prominence and wealth, and were called a shekel by the Carthaginians despite being 50% heavier that the Phoenician silver shekel.

marrk

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42:49 am »

boreas

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:37:05 pm »
Thanks a lot guys.
I still am slightly confused but understood the basics thanks to Lloyd T.
Cheers

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 04:54:43 pm »
Thanks a lot guys.
I still am slightly confused but understood the basics thanks to Lloyd T.
Cheers
Wow, I thought I understood it until I read Lloyd's explanation.   ;D

I kid. I kid.  Nice synopsis, Lloyd.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity