Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian fouree in good style  (Read 931 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Vespasian fouree in good style
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:54:40 pm »
I have had this one for q while and thought it worth sharing it again (I am sure I have shared it before at some point!).

It is a fouree denarius of Vespasian that I bought for the Mars depiction, which is one of my areas of weakness. It was not bought as a fouree though I think the dealer has his suspicions despite his declaration otherwise that it was fouree since the price was too reasonable.

Obv:– IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, Laureate head right
Rev:– COS VIII, Mars standing left, holding trophy and spear; corn ear in ground on right
Copying Cohen 127, RIC II 104

There is what appears to be a bubble on both sides of the coin at the same point indicating the separation of the top layer of silver. There are also holes in the upper layer that are clearly evident in the detailed image of the reverse.

The coin shows signs of being struck (to my eyes at least). I would value other opinions on this one.
Regards,
Martin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity