Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion Forum

How to Clean Silver (not Silvered) Coins

<< < (7/8) > >>

SC:
Wow!  Incredible job Nathan.

I could actually have lived with the coin as it was before too as it was interesting, but there is no denying that you have brought out excellent detail from under that stuff.  And very interesting "stuff" too.  So green it would seem to have been hoarded with some Cu coins.  I know there was significant Cu in the alloy when Quietus coins were being struck but I don't think that amount alone would account for that green.

Shawn

ionutbd:
Is rather a billon coin than a silver one, but great job cleaning it. Wel done!

Britanikus:
 I know i have other topic with same thing .Here I have example  before and after silver denarius  with lead deposits cleaned with ammonia
the result is lead is gone copper stays .
Do NOT USE THE WRONG SUBSTANCE
For COPPER  use lemon juice
For Lead only use ammonia

Ammonia is toxic use only outside and for lead deposits. Dip the coin in glass jar with ammonia just enough to cover the coin close the lid "Ammonia will evaporate if you don't close the lid "
Every 15 min check the coin rub with fingers until you like the result DO NOT OVERUSE AMMONIA IT WILL DAMAGE THE COIN "
In my case for this Vespesian the coin was in ammonia for 3-4 hours and i was checking it every 15-20 min

Step 2 is to use lemon juice to remove the copper deposits which im not going to do just because i think the coin looks great with them .

Dk0311USMC:
My latest project...  I have quite a bit of experience cleaning bronze coins, but this will be my first adventure trying to clean encrustations off a silver coin.  From some of the reading earlier in this thread I am thinking on using a variety of methods including distilled water, lemon juice and vinegar, as well as careful scrubbing with a nylon brush.  My greatest fear is scratching the silver so I'm thinking this is going to be a long slow project.  My uncleaned bronze coins I have got down to a science and am usually able to clean many up in short periods of time, but this will be a different animal, having to take care not to scratch the silver.

If anyone has any additional advice before I begin please share!   
Thank, Danny

Sosius:
It's been a while since I cleaned coins, but I came across this article by accident.  It's a Reader's Digest "slideshow" with 13 tricks for cleaning silverware. Many of them made me think of the things I learned on this board. There are familiar things here, like lemon juice and aluminum foil, and some things that seem dangerous, like toothpaste, but there are also some unique methods, like using ketchup.  Now that's something that all of us Yanks should have in the fridge!  I assume it works because it's acidic, having both vinegar and fruit acids.

Who knows, some of these tricks might work on silver coins. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. 

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/how-to-clean-silver/

Sosius

PS: If you're an Aussie, you might want to try Vegemite instead of ketchup. It could wind up being the ultimate coin cleaning potion! Better than eating it, that's for sure.  :evil:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version