Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion Forum

How much is too much (when to stop cleaning under microscope)?

(1/1)

Roy W:
Id like to get some opinions on when to stop cleaning under microscope. Here is an example of a coin that still shows some dirt under 20x, but the dirt isnt visible to the human eye (well, not my terrible eyes at least). On this example, leave it as it is, or go for completely clean and risk possible scratching? I work slow and meticulous so its not a matter of being scared to scratch it, but **** happens.

Thank you!

Virgil H:
I am no expert, but that looks pretty darn good to me.

Virgil

Roy W:
Thanks, Virgil. Here is the reverse. I think ill stop there until i get some direction from the pros about continuing.

Virgil H:
And that also looks pretty good to me and I am also interested in what the experts say, I have quite a few coins like this I am not sure I should be leaving alone or not. When in doubt, I always leave them alone.

Virgil

Roy W:
Agreed. Although I think I might be losing my mind a little bit…talking to him the whole time Im cleaning the reverse like “oh come on man, you know that wasn’t actually you dragging that barbarian around by the hair” 🤣

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version