Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Constantine I. Follis, assignment

<< < (2/2)

Lech Stępniewski:
Your coin is RIC VI TREVERI 862

RIC VII TRIER 53 looks like this coin:

The cloak is an important difference. But the more important difference is weight and the most important difference is diameter.

It is worth to remember that during this T|F/PTR issue follis/nummus was significantly reduced: from 1/72 Roman pound to 1/96 (from ~4.5 g to ~3.4 g). RIC VI TREVERI belongs to 1/72 part and RIC VII TRIER to 1/96 part. However, these coins were minted in al marco mode. 96 coins weighted 1 pound but one flan may have been significantly different from another. As a result, in one batch of coins, there could be coins having 4 g and those having 3 g. But the diameter of the DIE was nearly constant. ~22-23 mm for RIC VI TREVERI and ~19-20 mm for RIC VII TRIER

The diameter of the flan of your coin is practically the same as the diameter of the die, i.e. pearl ring, so this 23 mm proves that this coin comes from the earlier part of T|F/PTR issue

And I am pretty sure that this RIC VII TRIER 53 on Wildwinds is in fact another RIC VI TREVERI 862.

Callimachus:

--- Quote from: Lech Stępniewski on November 09, 2022, 05:00:58 pm ---

And I am pretty sure that this RIC VII TRIER 53 on Wildwinds is in fact another RIC VI TREVERI 862.

--- End quote ---

Me too. Dane ought to be notified.
Thanks for explaining the differences of the diameter.

Lech Stępniewski:
The WIldwinds description (not the RIC description) for RIC 53 says "cloak spread across upper chest."
Could you please comment on this WIldwinds description, and the differences seen above on the two specimen of RIC 862 with respect to the chest of Mars?
Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version