Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New As of Augustus  (Read 515 times)

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
New As of Augustus
« on: July 29, 2022, 07:38:10 pm »
Hello again everybody. I just managed to get back from Rome this summer and brought back this interesting new As denomination of Augustus from the [REMOVED BY MODERATOR] coin shop in Rome itself where it is the PONTIF MAXIM type around 11-12 A.D. near the end of his reign. Does anyone know any information or history about this specific issue that he made since it is much different than that of the Moneyer types from earlier in his reign? Is this the first time we see him specifically try to call himself the Pontifex Maximus? It would be nice if anybody has information on this particular type other than its initial identification which I already have. Thank you and I am happy to finally add this to my collection; my first coin of Augustus. Thank you.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: New As of Augustus
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 05:29:48 am »
Hi Traj,

I don't have any information for you.

However, I have a very similar coin that was issued by Tiberius. The obverse legend on my example is a little different. It begins with "TI CAESAR...".

Here is my example (third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_tiberius.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 11:49:41 am »
Yes thank you, I did read that this specific issue of Augustus set the style for many of the later emperor's coinage, so it makes sense why Tiberius would have one similar in design. Thank you for trying to help.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 11:59:24 am »

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 12:12:52 pm »
Yes, thank you Pekka I already knew the RIC number, I was just wondering if there was any special history behind this specific coin or not. Thank you for at least trying it means a lot.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 12:30:34 pm »

There was no aes minted after 4 BC until this issue, so there must have been
reason to strike this new issue.

Pekka K

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 05:37:06 pm »
Oh that is interesting indeed. Is that true that there were no As denomination coins after 4 B.C. until 11 A.D.? I thought I saw some made around 10 A.D. with the Augustus and Agrippa type, but I could be wrong. Thank you for this interesting fact though.

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 07:23:03 am »
Quote from: Trajanus on July 30, 2022, 05:37:06 pm
I thought I saw some made around 10 A.D. with the Augustus and Agrippa type, but I could be wrong. Thank you for this interesting fact though.
Coins bearing the image of Agrippa ceased to be minted with his death in 12 BC. There are, of course, his posthumous coins, but not from the times of Augustus.

Quote from: Trajanus on July 30, 2022, 05:37:06 pm
Oh that is interesting indeed. Is that true that there were no As denomination coins after 4 B.C. until 11 A.D.?
The circulation of small coin denominations in the 1st century BC / 1st century AD is much more complicated than it seems. In addition to standard denominations minted in Rome, a lot of provincial coins circulated - for example, there are many coins from Gaul in the finds from Pompeii. If you are interested in the topic, you can read e.g. "Currency and exchange in ancient Pompeii: coins from the AAPP excavations at Regio vi, Insula 1" by R. Hobbs.

In general, August's coinage is full of rapid changes affecting the next decades. The denarii ceased to be minted in Rome in 12 BC, which also ended the series of silver coins bearing the names of tresviri monetales. At the same time, in 15 BC, a mint was opened in Lugdunum, where denarii without these names were minted. Only bronze coins remained in Rome, and these bore the names of tresviri monetales until 4 BC. However, when the minting of them resumed in AD 11, they were, as before, denarii - stripped of these names. This was the final deprivation of significance of the former republican college tresviri aere argento auro flando feriundo, which, however, survived for some time.

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 01:23:48 pm »
Wow thank you for that. That's interesting that no coins were minted from that time period because there were so many provincial ones out in the market there was no need to make any. It's cool to understand the wider history of each of my coins types. So I guess this new As of Augustus being his last one minted alive was to officially see the final break from the republican form of government to the new Imperial one? Plus it shows that areound 11 A.D. and 12 A.D. there was a need for more Asses in the markets since the provincial ones must have began to slow down in frequency. Thank you would these statements above be right?

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 03:17:21 am »
Quote from: Trajanus on August 01, 2022, 01:23:48 pm
So I guess this new As of Augustus being his last one minted alive was to officially see the final break from the republican form of government to the new Imperial one?

It looks a bit like this, but rather it was just cleaning up the last remaining traces of the republican office of tresviri monetales. The state system was a de facto monarchy from 30/27/23 BC, while other mementoes of the Republic survived on coins for hundreds of years. I mean here the titles used by the emperors (consul, tribune, etc.) or the marking SC on the coins the Senate was supposed to be responsible for issuing.

Tresviri lost their importance in 39 BC, when Augustus allowed only two officials to be elected for that year and forbade the inclusion on coins of his names and images related to the history of the tresviri gentes. Their later restoration was only on the temporary grace of Augustus and did not last long (for denarii - 19-12 BC, for bronze - 18-4 BC).

Quote from: Trajanus on August 01, 2022, 01:23:48 pm
Plus it shows that areound 11 A.D. and 12 A.D. there was a need for more Asses in the markets since the provincial ones must have began to slow down in frequency.
Another topic for which we have little data. Perhaps it was the lack of a small coin on the market, or perhaps a desire to organize their circulation by increasing the number of coins minted by the central mint in Rome. It is difficult to study the circulation of a small coin, because we do not have large treasures of it. Nobody especially hides large amounts of low denominations, which is why the finds in Pompeii and its vicinity are so valuable.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity