Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek ancient coins experts opinion  (Read 569 times)

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
Greek ancient coins experts opinion
« on: May 19, 2022, 05:59:59 pm »
Hi, i am new on this forum and new in the ancient coins collecting!
I recently bought this small coin (diameter: near 6 mm, weight: 0.23 g.) The smallest one in my collection so far. The seller didn't identify her. After searching acsearch, I found that some of the listings described it as Cilicii hemiibol and some described it as Lesbos. I think this is a trihemitartemorion. Personally, I think that the coin could come from from Lesbos: representation of Athena almoust identical to the coins from Lesbos.

Does anyone have this coin in your catalog? I would like to hear opinion from experts on the subject and a presentation of your smallest coins :)

Greetings from Poland,

Robert

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Greek ancient coins experts opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 07:46:37 pm »
Can't help you, but welcome to Forum.  I love these tiny coins.  Don't drop it!

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 05:34:12 am »
Can't help you, but welcome to Forum.  I love these tiny coins.  Don't drop it!

Thank You! :)

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 02:17:32 am »
In my eyes it is simply not clear from where this type is. And I mean exactly the variant with Athena looking to the left on the obverse, bunch of grapes within incuse square with dotted border on the reverse.
You find them under Soloi in Cilicia or Methymna on Lesbos, but usually without a sound argumentation :-\.

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity