Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible Bronze Disease?  (Read 789 times)

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
Possible Bronze Disease?
« on: January 08, 2022, 06:50:46 pm »
Hello again. I am thinking on buying this Trajan Dacian Trophy Sestertius. I am new to ancient coin collecting, so I was worried that maybe this gunk on the coin was possibly bronze disease. If anybody has had experience with bronze disease please tell me if this maybe looks like it. If it is not bronze disease then would it just be the patina or rust that is causing it and if so can you clean it off without damaging the coin? Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Possible Brozne Disease?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 06:53:30 pm »
It doesn't look to be BD but just some patina.

And I have no clue as to why you'd want to clean it if you get it, looks fine the way it is with some highlighting.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 07:20:25 pm »
I agree it doesn't look like BD.

The yellowish bits could be easy to pop off with a scalpel or very difficult to remove.  It is hard, well impossible really, to tell from the photo.  If I had it I would probably try very gently with a sharp scalpel on a small out-of-the-way yellow bit and immediately give up if it didn't just "pop off".

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 01:20:59 am »
I’m so worried about BD that I avoid collecting ancient bronze coins altogether and confine my collection to silver, gold and electrum coins. I’m concerned about the conservation issues surrounding bronze coins that might someday succumb to BD. It’s not a strategy that I would recommend to any collector because I’m missing out on a lot of terrific bronze coins. There are many ancient bronze coins and artefacts that do survive for millennia without succumbing to BD.

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 10:20:11 am »
Thank you all so much for this advice. I think I will get it and try to clean it off, but if I can't it's ok to have that on there because you are right it does highlight the details of the coin too at least on the obverse. Thank You!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity