Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID for figurine like decoration  (Read 767 times)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
ID for figurine like decoration
« on: August 20, 2021, 11:48:10 am »
Bronze figurine like decoration or aplique ,may be from wooden box?Any comments are welcome.Especially I am intrested in the date ,this item looks more like iron age then roman to me

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: ID for figurine like decoration
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 04:45:32 pm »
Looks kind of Turkic to me with the sword, draw and robe or mail.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 08:38:26 am »
Is this not a guy who is spearing and pulling out a big fish?It is a stray find and there was no coins around that can helps us .500-700 m away there is small roman fort abandoned in 6 century A.D ,but this is not looking roman to me.Any idea what is it ,horse decoration,belt,furniture decoration?Back side is flat ,no hangers

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 10:30:18 am »
It is a warrior mounted on a horse.  You can see the horse's neck - minus full head - and two legs at the front.  He wears helmet and armour and/or surcoat.  Could be holding a spear in two hands or drawing a sword.  Turkic and Islamic swords did not have big cross-guards. The style, especially the pointed helmet, narrow hips and broad ankle length surcoat are very Turkic and Islamic circa 10th-14th century.

Might be completely wrong but that is what the style looks like to me.

At that time "pilgrims' badges" were popular in the west, made of pewter, tin or bronze.  Often featureless on the back as they were sewn onto clothes.  Maybe this is similar.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 01:31:58 pm »
I see now ,may be you are right.Given history of the area where was found posibilities are cumans,mongols/tatars and ottoman turks.Thanks for the info  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity