Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC "R2" denarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins  (Read 16772 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Septimius Laodicea deniarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2022, 09:00:28 pm »
My latest Auction victory just arrived, a rather sublime example of RIC 526 from Laodicea ad Mar.  Interesting reverse with a rather short legend, COS III P P.

Let me know what you think of this one.  I think it's a rather nice example.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=175388
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Septimius early deniarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2022, 08:18:32 pm »
I've added a decent example of an early Septimius denarius (as Caesar) from 193.  This one is RIC 22.  while not exactly rare, these are not always found in presentable condition - lots of examples seem pretty worn.  this one isn't worn from handling, though the obverse side shows some die wear.  Overall, I'm happy to be adding this one to the collection.

The Severans sure loved Victory reverses... I have a ridiculous number of Septimius Victory denarii now, and almost all of them are not duplicates (!)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=175561

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2022, 03:59:06 am »
I don't understand the "as Caesar" part of the above post. The coin is is from the first issue from A.D. 193.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2022, 08:05:35 am »
Fair enough. I should have stated that differently. I meant that he was still using Caesar in his obverse legend, which ended early at the Rome mint.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Byzantine Electrum - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2022, 07:27:37 pm »
Added another scyphate hystamenon Nomisma to my Byzantine electrum/gold gallery.  In this case, a nice electrum coin of Nicephorus III from Constantinople

Hope you enjoy this one as I continue to grow my little eastern empire EL/AV gallery.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=175685

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Byzantine Electrum - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2022, 08:45:00 pm »
Added this interesting double-struck (obverse) gold Tremissis of Justin II to my byzantine gold coin gallery.  The coins are quite small with very thin flans, so a bit hard to photograph well, but I think I captured the character of the piece. 

Hopefully people are enjoying it as I post the few gold coins I have from the eastern empire.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=175699

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Ariarathes X drachm - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2022, 08:44:59 pm »
And in a move that probably surprises no-one, I've added a nice Ariarathes X drachm from a recent auction victory

I didn't have a Cappadocian drachm of Ariarathes X yet, so that's a box I can tick.  Decent example too! :)  Ariarathes X only struck drachms in regnal year 4 and 5, and only 2 types are known - the difference between the 2 being a very minor difference in the reverse legend.  Hoover lists them as an R2.

Hope you all like it!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=175900

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Ariarathes X drachm - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #207 on: June 02, 2022, 09:32:36 pm »
Very nice.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Exceptional tetradrachm - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2022, 11:03:44 pm »
Well I'm a tad embarrassed to say this latest addition is the most I have ever paid for any ancient silver coin (!).  But that said, the auction house graded it an EF, and they were not wrong.  I think it's perhaps the nicest tetradrachm of Ariarathes VII (of Cappadocia) that I've personally laid eyes on.  This one was struck in the name of Antiochos VII of Syria, but with Ariarathes' mintmarks at Eusebeia under Mount Argaios.

Interestingly, when this tetradrachm was struck, Antiochos VII had been dead for a couple decades and the issues are posthumus commemoratives.  It's not really clear why the Cappadocians held Antiochos in such high regard, but several Cappadocian kings issued tetradrachms for him posthumously, just like this one.  There's a great paper on the subject here: https://www.jstor.org/stable/42666402

I'm really pleased with this latest acquisition and my first Cappadocian tetradrachm to boot.  Please let me know what you think, the coin shows even better in hand.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=175986

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2022, 12:14:16 am »
A real beauty Ron!  Congrats!

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2022, 05:25:47 am »
Indeed a nice coin :).

...  There's a great paper on the subject here: https://www.jstor.org/stable/42666402 ...
For those without access to JSTOR: http://www.royalnumismaticsociety.org/NC_Offprints/NC166/NC166_07_Lorber_Houghton_Vesely.pdf

There is also some sort of follow-up by Elke Krengel and Catharine Lorber, "Early Cappadocian Tetradrachms in the Name of Antiochus VII", NC 169, 2009, pp. 51-104:
https://www.academia.edu/1282780/Early_Cappadocian_Tetradrachms_in_the_name_of_Antiochos_VII

Regards

Altamura

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2022, 11:51:05 am »
Ron,
That one is a beautiful coin. I don't have any Cappadocia coins yet, but they are on my radar.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2022, 01:35:44 pm »
Ron,
That one is a beautiful coin. I don't have any Cappadocia coins yet, but they are on my radar.

Virgil

Jump in Virgil, the water is a nice temperature :)

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #213 on: June 11, 2022, 10:31:26 am »
That's a lovely specimen, Ron, of a tetradrachm of Ariarathes VII INO Antiochos VII. Rejoice!  Excellent Lorber-Houghton reference, too.

And thanks to Altamura, for the link to the RNS version of that reference (and, yes, to that second one).  It's enabled me to indulge my fetish for coin references and cite yet another for my own example, seen here), purchased twenty years ago.

P.S.  I was tickled to see a FORVM sale listed among the corpus (mine was not, possibly too early). Note the remark "... they may have been struck to pay foreign (Syrian?) mercenaries who preferred the types of Antiochus VII."

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2022, 12:09:52 pm »
Glad I could be of help Chris! Nice example.

There is much speculation as to the purpose, and many of the hoards containing the Cappadocia coins were unearthed in Syria, but I think the theories around purpose remain speculation, absent more knowledge.

For example, some variants of this coin list ariarathes' name in place of antiochus' name. I doubt that would be done to coins meant only to circulate abroad.

If I had to guess, I would say that Syrian tetradrachms were likely established heavy currency in the region, and the government found it useful to mint more, perhaps needing larger denominations than the drachms bearing their own rulers' busts that they were more accustomed to minting. 

I would see that situation similar to what happened with shekels of Tyre in Judea.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #215 on: June 11, 2022, 07:35:38 pm »
When I saw one of your references for this coin, I was surprised (HCG Vol 9). I did not realize Syrian coins went this far into today's Turkey. The biggest issue I have with deciding what Hoover volumes to get is I can't find Tables of Contents online anywhere. So, because Cappadocia seems to be in the book, I may have to look at getting it, although I tend to not collect Syrian coins or Seleucid empire. Anyway, such a nice coin.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #216 on: June 11, 2022, 08:29:49 pm »
Most of Cappadocia is in hgc 7. Hgc 9 only covers the coins struck in the name of antiochos by the Cappadocia kings.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2022, 12:04:13 am »
Great coin with an interesting backstory.

Interesting additional info here https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=72273 ...

Ariarathes VII was the nephew of Mithradates VI Eupator of Pontus and a hapless pawn in the developing power struggle of his uncle with Bithynia and later Rome to control Asia Minor. After rebuffing Mithradates VI's 'advice and assistance' the armies of Mithradates and Ariarathes met prepared for battle. At this point Mithradates called for an unarmed discussion meeting with Ariarathes in the middle ground of the battlefield. In front of the two assembled armies, Mithradates drew a concealed blade and slit his nephew's throat, thus avoiding battle and clearing the way for a new puppet, his stepson, to be appointed ultimately as King Ariarathes IX.

Obverse die linked (A1) to the sole known example of Series I, Issue 2 bearing the name of Ariarathes VII in the legend (first image below) ...

This die linkage (only recognized in 2002) confirmed that many of the Antiochos VII issues previously attributed to Syria were posthumous issues made by the Cappadocian Kings commencing with Ariathes VI and continuing through the reigns of Ariarathes VII – IX and Ariobazanes I.

If I had to guess, I would say that Syrian tetradrachms were likely established heavy currency in the region, and the government found it useful to mint more, perhaps needing larger denominations than the drachms bearing their own rulers' busts that they were more accustomed to minting. 

This coin is from an extensive imitative series struck by the Cappadocian Kings during the internecine wars for power that plagued the region in the closing years of the second century and early first century BC. The exact reason as to why coinage imitating that of the deceased Seleukid Syrian ruler Antiochos VII was struck is unknown. However, the utilization of the coinage to pay Syrian mercenaries in familiar coin appears most likely.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Ariarathes VIII drachm - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2022, 11:25:08 pm »
I finally picked up an Arirarathes VIII drachm for my Cappadocian gallery.  Ariarathes VIII became king when the Cappadocian nobleman rebelled against his maternal uncle, King Mithridates VI of Pontus and his son, the puppet King Ariarathes IX of Cappadocia. Incidentally, Ariarathes IX had no blood relation to the actual Ariarathes royal line.  Ariarathes VIII was speedily driven out of the kingdom by Mithridates VI, and shortly afterwards died a natural death, ending the royal blood line.

At this point, Cappadocia was basically a Roman vassal state, and the Roman Senate offered Republican government to Cappadocia.  The people refused that offer and with the Senate's blessing, elected Ariobarzanes I to be their new king, and a new royal dynasty was begun that lasted until around 36 BC.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=176253

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Ariarathes VIII drachm - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2022, 12:39:15 am »
Nice one. Mithradates Vi was a very interesting and lesser known king who kept the Romans at bay longer than anyone else. He should be far better known. I just got the book, Empire of the Black Sea; The Rise and Fall of the Mithradatic World, by Duanne W Roller. The Pontic Kingdom may be the least well known of the post-Alexander Hellenistic empires and Mithradates VI was the Man. I will review the book when I finish it, but is is great so far. All of Asia Minor was touched by the Pontic kingdom. I am loving your Cappadocian coins. Pontos is one of the main focuses of my collection. I am a fan of Celtic Galatia, as well. Also, the link to the video from ANS I posted a while back speaks about Pontic influence on coins of Asia Minor especially in the Roman era.

As you probably know, we can't make comments on gallery coins at the moment.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Septimius Laodicea denarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #220 on: June 27, 2022, 08:17:48 pm »
Thanks Virgil for the interest, and yes, Mithridates VI was a bit of a bad boy in his part of the world just before the imperatorial era of Rome.  The Roman and Pontic influence on Cappadocia is fascinating stuff to read.  They were kings in Cappadocia, but very much kings with de-facto masters. 

Changing the channel a little, I added a nice little annonae avgg denarius of septimius from Laodicea to my gallery today.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=176272

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Septimius RIC "rare" - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2022, 11:15:30 pm »
Picked up a nice Septimius denarius, this time a rare one.  RIS lists as an R1, and there was only 1 example in Reka Devnia.  Interesting reverse with Septimius and Caracalla being played to by a flute player. 

Let me know what you think of this one :)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=176279

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Septimius scarce Emesa issue - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2022, 08:41:10 pm »
I just added this rather nice and scarce Emesa early issue.  VICT AVG.  Let me know what you think, the portrait is about as Emesa ad Emesa gets.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=176422

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Septimius scarce Emesa issue - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2022, 09:18:51 pm »
That is a lovely coin.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
just added my latest acquisiotn from the Forum shop.  In this case a rare Septimius Severus denarius (194 AD) from the Alexandria mint - my first Alexandria mind example from this emperor.  Only 2 of these in RD, and listed as an RIC R1.  It's a nice coin in hand, even if the reverse was struck a little high on the flan.  Was happy to acquire it - thanks Joe!

Let me know what you think of this one, it's not a common find.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=176575

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity