Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any opinion about this bronce objects  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Jose G

• Praetorian
Any opinion about this bronce objects
« on: October 06, 2020, 05:37:00 pm »
 :Greek_Pi:Hi again everyone,

I know that this task is not an easy one, but I will try. Any opinion about those object?

I really know that is not possible to hit 100% , but just an opinion will be much appreciated

I will try first (It is possibl were wrong):

:circleline: I think that the rounded one is an strap or harness fitting.

Regarding to the rectangular one I think, it is one part of a Belt mount duo. ¿could be?

Both from an roman place.

Regards and thanks again,

Jose

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Any opinion about this bronce objects
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 07:44:27 pm »
The loop is part of a bronze cooking vessel.  The two flat bits were riveted to the rim of a metal pot or bowl or small cauldron and the loop was used to suspend it, usually from a chain.  Two such items were used, on opposite sides of the bowl.

The other piece might be part of the reinforcing strip of the rim of such a bowl if they were found together.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jose G

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 12:23:18 am »
otlichnik, thanks a lot again.

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 02:14:40 am »
Can't speak for the loop but regarding the rectangular piece-some times ago two  rectangular pieces exactly like this one came out together with a legionary belt buckle and lorica segmentata fittings .In my opinoin the rectangular piece is part of a armour or was rivetet to a leather or belt.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 09:14:39 am »
Pieces like this do appear as part of belt-sets - helping affix mid-2nd to mid-3rd century buckle-plates to leather.  But they can also be used for any other leather-work.

Nothing like that appears on armor finds - see the comprehensive catalogues by Bishop and Thomas or any other works I know.  All lorica segmentata parts are quite well known.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity