Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to customize searches in Gallery  (Read 739 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
How to customize searches in Gallery
« on: January 14, 2022, 10:21:39 pm »
Ron C2,
Yes, it is hard. I just spent 30 minutes trying to find two galleries I look at a lot and can't find either. Not sure the name and searching by coin category didn't help. Clicking Members Gallery returns a thumbnail list not in alphabetical order and with no real indication of what is in the gallery. Searching by coin type brings up single coin results. Clicking on that brings up that coin. Trying to get to the index of a given person's gallery is elusive for me and I finally gave up. There are two galleries heavy on Elymais coins I have looked at many times, always from a link in a post and I would probably nominate one of them, but damned if I can remember who owns them. I can find neither tonight. No big deal, but I find the galleries hard to navigate unless I am clicking on a specific link someone provided. This is especially true it seems when I am looking for a gallery and not a specific coin where I don't care whose gallery it is in. Frustrating.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: How to customize searches in Gallery
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 10:38:09 pm »
When looking at a coin you can easily see the members gallery by clicking their name.  This will bring you to their gallery main page that usually has folders in it.  See the arrow.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:42:20 pm »
You will then be taken to a page that looks like this where you can browse that specific members folders and coins:

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 08:02:22 am »
Thanks for the tutorial Jay. I have to agree with Virgil; I gave up years ago doing research with the galleries. I still don’t understand why I can’t find the owners of many examples in the gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 09:42:18 am »
I believe the ones with no owners names are from people who are no longer members of Forum.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 10:26:17 am »
There are two galleries heavy on Elymais coins I have looked at many times, always from a link in a post and I would probably nominate one of them, but damned if I can remember who owns them.

Schatz, Robert L3, Stkp or Howard Cole ???

Trying to get to the index of a given person's gallery is elusive for me and I finally gave up.

If you know the owners name, you can simply add it as a search term.

I use this function to search my own gallery because I have too many categories.

e.g. , if I want to find my own Commodus coins, I search for shanxi and Commodus. This works if you activated the search for "Owner name"

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 08:06:14 pm »
Thanks Jay and Shanxi and for Dominic's affirmation. I will try again to find the one(s) I am looking for and make a nomination. I find the galleries great when you hit them right or looking for a specific coin, but they can be frustrating. I also freely admit that I am not well organized and even if I write something down or file it electronically or physically, I will rarely find it again. That is on me.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 08:25:19 pm »
Here are the three search results from a Gallery search for "Schatz." I didn't use quotes except here to show what I searched for. Nothing related to Schatz. That was my first try just now, will keep at it. I guess I can go to members list and scroll on down until I find the ones I want. Thanks for the names list on Elymais, one or more of those are what I am looking for. My biggest question is why on earth is the Member's Gallery list not in alphabetical order? You can't even do a page Find search because it is multiple pages. And there is no way to order the list. Anyway, not the end of the world.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 08:31:58 pm »
uncheck all boxes except owner name and then search posters name

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 10:02:00 pm »
Hi Jay,
I did that and it was pretty obvious. LOL. I found those four mentioned previously. Three of them had coins from multiple places, but no way to order them. One had just coins from Elymais only. I do recall seeing galleries where coins were divided into different folders so one can look at the categories of interest without going through pages of coins that are in no apparent order other than date uploaded from what I can tell. When you click on a name, you get two options, last coin uploaded and last comment made. When you click on one of those and you click on the name, you get a list of coins in no logical order. I can find no galleries in the folder order and perhaps that is because not everyone uses the folder approach and I just didn't find one of those. Yada yada, I will shut up now, but user friendly does not describe the gallery experience. I found the entire exercise very frustrating. I will return to only following gallery links in future.

I will nominate Howard Cole for his Elymais gallery.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 12:42:30 am »
To see the folder’s in a gallery (assuming the user has divided the collection into folder’s), click on any coin in their collection. Then click the user’s name in the file path as circled in red below.

Schatz’s coins can not appear sometimes in a search because she has abbreviated the denomination, eg ‘drachm’ as ‘dr.’

As for no user names, click on the actual picture and it will probably come up unless they are no longer a member.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 06:17:44 pm »
Thanks to all for your patient help with Gallery searches. Hopefully I have a better handle on it now. I would encourage anyone with a Gallery to put their items in topic folders.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 09:38:41 pm »
The issue of the OP has been more or less resolved, so I have a related problem relating to customizing searches in the Gallery.

To start with, I uncheck all the boxes except title because I figured most people put the ruler's name in the title.

How to search, for example, for Gordian I or Gordian II without getting all the Gordian III coins. Putting quotation marks around the words "Gordian I" or "Gordian II" does not work and returns the message No image to display.  The same holds true for Philip I -- you get all the Philip II and Philip III (brother of Alexander the Great) coins too.  Search for Tetricus I, and you get all the coins of Tetricus II also.  Other rulers that have the same problem includes Constantine I, and II, Henry I to VIII, Edward I to VIII, etc.

I'm sure there is a way to do this, but so far I have not been able to figure it out. 

Thanks to any and all who show me how to do this.

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 06:07:44 am »
The lack of reply suggests searching with a specific quotation isn’t possible; I certainly don’t know how. The default search is AND, so I think the best you can do is search by ruler plus a specific title, inscription or reference number. Eg Gordian Africanus or Gordian AFR.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 09:01:10 pm »
Quote from: Pharsalos on January 23, 2022, 06:07:44 am
The lack of reply suggests searching with a specific quotation isn’t possible; I certainly don’t know how.

I think you are right. I am a bit surprised that software as sophisticated as this would not have a good search feature.

Quote from: Pharsalos on January 23, 2022, 06:07:44 am
. . . I think the best you can do is search by ruler plus a specific title, inscription or reference number. Eg Gordian Africanus or Gordian AFR.

This would work IF everyone put such nicknames and/or titles in their galleries.  Constantius I and Constantius II and Constantius Gallus: How many gallery items actually have "Gallus" or "Chlorus" in the text? You search for Constantius I -- either with or without the default AND -- and you get coins from all 3 rulers. There are 23 pages of them on this site. You'd think the search feature could be more specific than that.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 11:00:08 pm »
I'm  not sure if Joe can turn on different search features.  Would be a good question for him.

Yes the galleries are only as good as the information supplied by the members themselves.  Some have little to no info, others seem to have thousands of words.  I have success by searching by RIC number or ruler and diety, but then I'm usually only searching for Flavians or Southern Italian so not as much overlap.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity