Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266645 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #1200 on: May 07, 2020, 07:15:01 pm »
Hi folks,

I figured that I would provide everyone with an update regarding working on my website.

A few months ago, I was busy posting coins that I had purchased last Fall and Winter. I had so many new coins to post that it caused me to get backed up on things. It is probably going to take me a while to get caught up on everything so that I can resume working on my website.

It is also Spring. It is time for "Spring cleaning". I have a bunch of things to do around the house and in the yard. On Saturday, I started my 1988 Mustang GT and ran it for a while. I hadn't started it since last Fall (about 7 months ago).

In addition to that, medically speaking, this Winter has been particularly bad for me. Just about everyone here in Forum knows that I have been suffering from a serious, chronic illness for 30 years. Generally speaking, I feel worse in the Winter. But this Winter has been a bad one for me, compared to other Winters over the past 10-20 years. I have been very sick almost all Winter.

I got sick in late December 2019 with what I thought (at that time) was the flu.  Looking back on it, I may have had the coronavirus. I still don't know what I had. I was very sick for 9 weeks. I didn't return to "normal" (for me) until the first or second week of March 2020. I felt "okay" (for me) for about 5-6 weeks. About 3-4 weeks ago, I got very sick again. And I have been seriously ill for about a month now. For me, medically speaking, I don't now what is going on this Winter.

Of course, the fact that I have been so sick for several months now is preventing me from getting caught up on everything I need to do so that I can get back to working on my website again. It is probably going to be a while before I can resume working on my website again.

Meepzorp

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #1201 on: May 14, 2020, 05:08:40 pm »
I hope you're well soon. It could have been coronavirus; people are telling me it's very unpredictable, and sometimes people are unwell for ages after having it.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1202 on: May 14, 2020, 07:54:38 pm »
Hi RB,

Thank you for the message. :)

No one really knows what this coronavirus can do to people. Just within this past week, the fact that it causes an inflammatory syndrome several weeks after a patient is supposedly "cured" has been all over the news.

Meepzorp

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #1203 on: May 18, 2020, 05:42:48 pm »
That could explain why a friend's still ill a couple of months after having it.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #1204 on: May 18, 2020, 05:57:12 pm »
Meepzorp: Best wishes for an early and complete recovery!!
PeteB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1205 on: May 20, 2020, 01:51:37 am »
Hi Akro,

Meepzorp

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #1206 on: December 02, 2020, 01:13:24 pm »
Hi Meepzorp,

I just browsed your coins from RIC VI and VII. Few attributions need correction.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_diocletian_maximianus1.htm

Maximianus attributed as RIC 23 ver. is in fact RIC VI CARTHAGO 25b

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_galerius_maxentius.htm

Maxentius attributed as SR (Sear?) 3779v from Rome mint is in fact RIC VI TICINUM 95

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_constantine1_helena.htm

Constantine attributed as RIC 85 from Antioch mint is in fact RIC VII CYZICUS 78 (probably - because mintmark is not fully legible)

Constantine attributed as RIC 56 from Heraclea mint is in fact RIC VII HERACLEA 60 (note star inside wreath)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_maximinus2_licinius2.htm

Maximinus II attributed as RIC 147c frm Antioch mint is in fact RIC VI ANTIOCHIA 148c (it's GENIO IMPERATORIS, not EXERCITVS)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_crispus_constantine2.htm

CONSTANTINOPOLI attributed as RIC 63d, should be 63
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1207 on: December 02, 2020, 03:47:42 pm »
Hi Lech,

Thank you for the corrections. I always welcome feedback from other Forum members regarding my website. That is especially true regarding correcting errors. I need all the help I can get because it is such a monumental effort.

As you can see, most, if not all, of my erroneous attributions and reference numbers were simply copied from dealer tags. They were actually dealer errors that I simply carried over to my tags and website. The coins that you pointed out are not in my specialty areas of expertise (Greek Italy, Augustus, Medieval Italy, etc.). Also, at the time I purchased those coins (approximately 20 years ago), I lacked reference books regarding those areas of collecting (and I still do). Additionally, I had no internet access back then, which caused me to have no access to online resources. For these reasons, I had no way of fact checking the dealers' attributions and reference numbers.

I am having a very bad year this year, for numerous reasons. So many things are going wrong. This has caused me to be unable to work on my website since circa March 2020. Hopefully (optimistically), I should be able to resume working on my website again in about 2-3 months or so. There are also a bunch of errors in my website that I noticed during the past year that need to be corrected. I have a list of them written down. Correcting all of these errors (the ones I noticed and the ones you pointed out) will be the first thing I do when I can finally resume working on my website again.

Again, thank you for the corrections.

Meepzorp

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #1208 on: December 02, 2020, 04:15:10 pm »
Hi Meepzorp,

you are welcome.

And don't be so concerned about errors. Just correct them. Such errors are everywhere - even on the British Museum website. I have found several dozen errors also on Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien pages etc. On my own page I am correcting errors constantly.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1209 on: January 27, 2021, 02:04:39 pm »
Hi folks,

It's time for a status report.

As many Forum members already know, I haven't worked on my website since the first week of March of last year (2020). This past year has been particularly bad for me. I got what I suspect was Covid in December 2019. I was very sick for 9-10 weeks, until early March 2020. I felt "okay" for several weeks. Then, I got sick again for several weeks. Of course, this is all in addition to my chronic Lyme disease that I have had for the past 31 years (since 1990). Medically speaking, I am still not back to my pre-December 2019 condition.

In the past year, I had 4 Covid-related deaths in my "circle" (extended family, etc.). All 4 of these people had the 2 lethal pre-existing conditions (obesity and diabetes). About a year ago, my mother's best friend died from Covid. She was elderly. A few months ago, my cousin's husband died from Covid. He was 61 years old. But those 2 deaths were small compared to the 2 "big ones" (for me). In July 2020, a woman who meant a lot to me died from Covid. She was 56 years old. I dated her in the past. At the time, I thought she was "the one". I wanted to marry her and have children with her. Everyone in my extended family (my "big fat Italian family") liked her. I still don't know why the relationship failed.

In April 2020, my cousin Tommy died from Covid. He was 54 years old. He wasn't just my cousin. He was my best friend. We were very close. We were like brothers. Whenever I had something on my mind, or if something was bothering me, he was the person I called. This loss was compounded by the fact that my cousin Joe died of a heart attack in 2010 at the age of 49. I was very close with him too. We were also like brothers. My cousins Joe and Tommy were my 2 best friends, and they are both dead now.

This is the just the "tip of the iceberg" for me regarding things that went wrong in the past year. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Neil Peart died in January 2020 from brain cancer. Rush has been my favorite band since 1984. Now that Neil Peart is deceased, it looks like I won't be attending Rush concerts any more.

About a thousand other things went wrong this past year. And it caused me to get backed up on things. It took me all this time just to get caught up on everything. The result of all of this is that I was unable to work on my website since the first week of March 2020. That was 11 months ago. Hopefully, tomorrow, I can finally resume working on my website again.

As many Forum members know, I started working on my project in 2012. The was 9 years ago. I started working on my website (which is Phase III of my project) in November 2015. My computer and flash drive are both now 5 1/2 years old. My iPhone4 is now 10 years old or more. I still have entire sections to add to my website. Some of my text needs to be edited. I still have many sub-par photos that need to be swapped out with better quality photos. In fact, that is what I was doing in March 2020 when I had to stop my work because of everything that went wrong in my life this past year. So, presumably, that is where I will resume my work.

However, before I can do that, because I neglected my website for 11 months, and because I haven't processed any incoming coins for 11 months, I must address those issues first. I have 11 month's worth of incoming coins (my "new arrivals") that I must process and add to my website. This will probably take me several weeks to do.

But, before I can even do that, I have some small website-related things that need to be addressed. A few of my website pages need to be split to accommodate future growth. Also, Lech pointed out to me several errors that need to be corrected, and I noticed some myself. So, I will probably spend the next few days addressing those issues.

Hopefully, I won't have any more setbacks.

Meepzorp

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #1210 on: January 27, 2021, 02:15:15 pm »
Sorry for all your 2020 losses, Meep.  I hope 2021 offers some improvement to your situation. 

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #1211 on: January 27, 2021, 05:07:30 pm »
That sounds awful. Did you recover fully from the covid? I hope things get better!
Robert Brenchley

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #1212 on: January 27, 2021, 05:43:19 pm »
Hoping you continue recover Meep.  And condolences on the losses.  Covid is ripping through families and communities all over.

At risk of being off-topic, when I think of the stories I know personally and hear the experience of others like you I just get so mad at the deniers and minimizers......  There is too much real suffering going on.

Anyway, you and I will need to find a Rush tribute band as the real thing is no longer an option.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1213 on: January 27, 2021, 06:21:16 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on January 27, 2021, 02:15:15 pm
Sorry for all your 2020 losses, Meep.  I hope 2021 offers some improvement to your situation. 

Hi Cara,

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1214 on: January 27, 2021, 06:28:21 pm »
That sounds awful. Did you recover fully from the covid?

Hi RB,

I think I am about 98% recovered from Covid.

I do have one nagging symptom though. Just about every day, sometimes multiple times a day, I taste blood in my mouth. It is not originating in my mouth. The blood is dripping down into my mouth from somewhere else (my nose or head?). I never had this symptom before (even from 31 years of Lyme disease), so I assume it is from my Covid infection. For several months, I didn't understand the link to Covid. Then, fairly recently, there have been several news stories about how Covid is primarily a vascular infection that causes blood clots and strokes. Now, it all makes sense.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1215 on: January 27, 2021, 06:33:58 pm »
Hoping you continue recover Meep.  And condolences on the losses.  Covid is ripping through families and communities all over.

At risk of being off-topic, when I think of the stories I know personally and hear the experience of others like you I just get so mad at the deniers and minimizers......  There is too much real suffering going on.
SC

Hi otl,

Without getting too much into modern politics, I agree with you 100%. As you may know, in addition to being a Rush fan, I am also a huge Howard Stern fan. I have been listening to the "Howard Stern Show" on the radio and SiriusXM almost every day since 1984. And literally almost every day for the past year, Howard has been extremely critical of the US government's response to the whole Covid situation.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1216 on: January 27, 2021, 06:40:44 pm »
Anyway, you and I will need to find a Rush tribute band as the real thing is no longer an option.....
SC

Hi otl,

:) :) :) :) :)

Either that, or we need to find a suitable replacement for Neil Peart, if that is even possible. How about Dave Grohl on drums? We still need a lyricist if we want new albums. If new albums aren't a priority, perhaps Rush can just tour and play their old material with someone (like Dave Grohl) on drums. Just some food for thought.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1217 on: January 28, 2021, 03:20:33 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I split my Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 3 page into 2 pages, creating a Part 3A page. I did this to accommodate future growth. I will be adding more coins to both pages in the coming weeks.

I also re-organized and re-numbered all of my coins in my Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 5 page.

Additionally, I moved one coin (bucranium symbol) from my Part 5 page to my Part 3A page. I purchased that coin many years ago from Mr. Lindgren before he passed away. When I initially created my website, I didn't know where to place that coin because it had a previously unlisted symbol. So, I just placed it at the end of my Neapolis silver coins (Part 5 page). I now know where it belongs in my website, so I moved it to its proper page (Part 3A page). In the coming weeks, I will be writing up new tags for this coin and editing the text for it in my website page.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1218 on: January 29, 2021, 03:46:11 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I split my 3 Greek Italy, Campania, Cales pages into 5 pages. I did this to accommodate future growth.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1219 on: January 29, 2021, 07:30:30 pm »
Hi folks,

I just split my Roman Provincial, Sicily page into 3 pages.

I also split my Roman Provincial, Cilicia, Part 1 page into 2 pages, creating a Part 1A page.

I did this to accommodate future growth.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1220 on: January 30, 2021, 11:24:38 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I moved one coin from my Greek Italy, Campania, Capua, Part 1 page to the end of my Part 2 page. This is the coin I mentioned yesterday in the ID Help section of Forum. I wrote a note in the text description in my website. In the coming weeks, I will be writing up new tags for this coin and editing the text in my website.

I also moved one coin from my Roman Provincial, Mysia, Pergamon, Part 1 page to my Part 2 page. I did this to accommodate future growth.

Additionally, I corrected a bunch of typos in my 2 Roman Provincial, Bithynia, Nicaea pages.

For now, I think I am done splitting pages and moving coins from one page to another, which involves re-numbering numerous photos and moving blocks of HTML code. The entire process takes hours.

Now, I have about 10 coins with errors in my tags that need to be corrected. About 6 of them are errors that Lech pointed out to me. I noticed the other ones. Some of those tags are total losses, and I will need to write up new hand-written tags, which is an extremely time-consuming process. Depending on how lengthy they are, it typically takes me about 20-45 minutes (per coin) to write up new tags.

Meepzorp

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #1221 on: January 31, 2021, 02:41:48 pm »
Sounds like you've been at it, hammer and tongs, on your coin website.  I applaud the initiative. 

I no longer try to keep up with my (offline and unpublished) web pages, which supplemented my coin collection on display in Flickr. I had started on Frontpage, then Expression Web when Frontpage was discontinued, but now Expression Web is discontinued, and it all feels so difficult, time-consuming, and pointless; even Flickr disappointed when they started asking for money.  I'm happier here on FAC. 

My big accomplishment for 2020 (heck it's a lifetime achievement), is my building a bespoke database.  I mention it because it gives me something I hadn't realized I needed: tag management.  I can now print my coin tags a dozen at a time, with all the fields populated from the database.

In viewing your collection online, I came to the realization that I need images of the sellers' coin tags, as well as the coins and even coin thumbnails.

That's what I'm up to these days.  Of course, I cannot help but check all the attributions when going through my coins. And photographing the coins and sellers' tags. And updating my database before printing new tags. Then updating the entries on my Forum gallery.  So, yeah, it's a time-slayer.  I'll take days to update a dozen coins. It all started out as me photographing the seller tags...    Here's a sample tag (for the coin flip) and a sellers tag:

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1222 on: January 31, 2021, 08:51:23 pm »
Hi folks,

I had 14 coins with errors in my tags and/or in my website text description. Of those 14, 11 of them had errors in both the tags and text description. Regarding about 50-65% of the 14 error coins, my tags were total losses. And I had to re-write new tags from scratch, which is extremely time-consuming.

Today, I corrected 8 of those 14 error coins.

Here are the 8 errors I corrected today:

Greek Italy, Campania, Capua, Part 2 (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_capua_pt02.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 3A (third coin):

[This page no longer exists.]

Medieval Italy, Genoa, Part 3 (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_genoa_pt03.htm

Roman Provincial, Lydia, Part 1 (third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_lydia_pt01.htm

Roman Provincial, Spain, Celsa (third and fourth coins):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_spain_cast_dert.htm

Roman Provincial, Spain, Colonia Patricia (fourth coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_spain_osset_pat.htm

Roman Provincial, Byzacium (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_byzacium.htm

Hopefully, tomorrow, I will correct the 6 error coins that Lech pointed out to me earlier in this thread.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1223 on: January 31, 2021, 09:00:44 pm »
Hi Anax,

Thank you for the message.

Yes, it is time-consuming. And it is extremely disappointing when web services are discontinued. You feel like all of that work and lost time were for nothing.

I hope that all of my work and time aren't for nothing. I have more than 5 years of my life invested in my website so far, and I am not done yet. Someday in the future, I hope that someone appreciates all of my work.

I think I was the first Forum member to post photos of my dealer tags in addition to my coin photos.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1224 on: February 01, 2021, 09:52:14 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I corrected the 6 errors that Lech pointed out to me earlier in this thread.

I am now done splitting pages and correcting errors. Hopefully, tomorrow, I can begin processing my new arrivals. Of course, in this case, my "new arrivals" are any coins that I received within the past 11 months.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity