Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Certainly not Carus !  (Read 405 times)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Certainly not Carus !
« on: June 07, 2023, 09:49:58 am »
Every month, I go to a small town, to a numismatic club I am not a member of. Does not matter, the members there sell coins and they are glad enough when there are people showing up to buy them.
Since some time a friend there has occasionnally Roman coins. Especially for me, he started to mark some on the coinholder with "med" in crayon, for "medal alignment".
Strange enough, one never comes home with the coin, the coinholder says is in it. Most pieces are small and dark and in the coinholder you do not see to much detail. So, a month ago I bought a Volusian to come home with a Diocletian, with which I was glad though  :).
This time, I bought a Carus, just for friendships sake. He marked it 15 euros to let it to me for 10. I have no idea where he has those coins from, because he himself knows nothing about roman coins. But look, also this time, Carus on the coinholder was not Carus I got.

The coin is dark and there are not to many details to hold on. The compact head, I thought maybe an Aurelian. But ... why break my neck on it in an endless search, when there are experts here which can see in a blink what coin this is;
Here is the coin and the coinholder I bought it in (17,5 mm):

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Certainly not Carus !
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 10:03:38 am »

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 10:23:21 am »
Thank you very much, Pekka !
Just like I said: ".. in a blink"  ;)!

Myrtle M

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 09:24:39 pm »
It's great to be able to search

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 03:58:47 am »
I agree. Personally, I love searching very much and I dare say, my guess here was not to far out of direction: Aurelian and Claudius II have known each other very well  :laugh:.
But for Greek and Roman coins I prefere to take a step aside here. When there is so much expertise available, one should take profit of the precision work they deliver.

Offline Marc S2

• Auxiliary
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 03:43:45 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity