Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Require help identifying mintmark on Magnentius coin!  (Read 294 times)

Offline Ofir Y

• Legionary
Require help identifying mintmark on Magnentius coin!
« on: June 03, 2023, 09:39:09 pm »
So the coin is a Magnentius Large chi rho :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>: with  :Greek_Alpha: on its left and  :Greek_omega_small: on its right, on the bottom is the Mintmark but I'm having trouble Identifying the specific one. (Coin is 28mm)
I've attached a few pictures of the coin, on the very left of the mintmark I've Identified a letter but completely clue less as to what it is, in the middle it could be an  :Greek_Alpha: or a  :Greek_Mu:, on the right its an R or a  :Greek_Beta: and on the far right I believe is a simple  :dot: (dot).

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Offline Ofir Y

• Legionary
Re: Require help identifying mintmark on Magnentius coin!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 09:44:47 pm »
Also note: when looking through lists of possible mint marks I noticed that the only magnentius variation with a dot at the end, has B as its last letter, whilst on my coin It seems a lot more like an R.
Could anyone help with that maybe?

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 09:58:41 pm »
Your coin is from Arles and the mintmark is PAR dot; which is RIC VIII Arles 196
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 01:38:59 am »
To identify a mint the style of the obverse portrait may complete/confirm the reading of the mintmark. For Magnentius  each mint has its own style.

Offline Ofir Y

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 06:51:37 am »
Quote from: Victor C on June 03, 2023, 09:58:41 pm
Your coin is from Arles and the mintmark is PAR dot; which is RIC VIII Arles 196

Thank you for answering! I will definitely look into it.
Solved me a month of speculations

Offline Ofir Y

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 07:46:17 am »
Quote from: Victor C on June 03, 2023, 09:58:41 pm

Hey, what does the 196 at the end mean? And I couldn't find other specimen of this same coin..
Also, I'm not at all interested in selling, but how would I go to evaluate how much its worth? Just out of curiosity... thank you

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 11:18:24 am »

Offline Ofir Y

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 01:17:13 pm »
Wow, thanks for this link.
I really appreciate the help, it really isn't taken for granted..
My coin is 28mm and whilst they're extremely similar these are all 25-26mm? Also in the picture I attached notice the 3 dots (jewellery) right below his back hair, this is only present in one of the coins of 196, and its 25mm...

Thank you for the help and I'm sorry if I seem rude.. I'm just trying to figure it out

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 02:57:08 pm »
We do not talk value here but your coin is not worth very much in that condition.

"My coin is 28mm and whilst they're extremely similar these are all 25-26mm? Also in the picture I attached notice the 3 dots (jewellery) right below his back hair, this is only present in one of the coins of 196, and its 25mm..." Those things are not important.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity