Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius, denarius, help with attribution needed.  (Read 448 times)

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
Marcus Aurelius, denarius, help with attribution needed.
« on: January 27, 2014, 05:50:57 pm »
Here is a toned, and somewhat worn denarius of Marcus Aurelius I just picked up. I believe it is R.I.C. 191- M ANTONINVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX, laureate head right / TR P XXII IMP V COS III, Aequitas seated left with scales & cornucopiae. The elements of the legend I can make out mesh with the legend of that particular coin. They are not as clearly evident in the scans. Any comments, or help appreciated.
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
Re: Marcus Aurelius, denarius, help with attribution needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:50 pm »
After further scrutiny, I am fairly convinced I have the attribution correct. The Obverse clearly begins M ANTONINVS and end in MAX, while the reverse is definitely Aequitas and the end of the reverse legend is definitely COS III. I am just interested to know if any other coins could match these criteria and not be the one I suspect. This would help me a great deal.

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 12:42:52 pm »
Anyone?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:00:29 pm »
It's a really bad picture but your attribution appears correct:

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=675847

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 02:02:58 am »
The toning is so dark it is really hard along with the fact that the coin is worn almost smooth around the legends to get much of a scan. Sorry for the quality, but I don't think the equipment I have can do much better. Thanks for the confirmation, I am still pretty new at this, so an extra pair of eyes always helps.- Ryan

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 02:34:23 am »
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:22:43 am »
It is definitely a silver denarius, the legends match, so there we have it, thanks.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity