Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: German pfennig?  (Read 1048 times)

mordor

German pfennig?
« on: November 24, 2012, 04:55:47 am »
I would be very grateful for some idea for attribution...
I believe, that is from Germany.

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
Re: German pfennig?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »
That looks to me like a variant of Dannenberg 230, issued at Huy by Konrad II (1024-39, emperor after 1027).  The obverse has the emperor's portrait right and IMP CONRADVS.  On the reverse is the patron saint's name, SCS LANDBERTVS, interrupted by the town's name HOIVM in a horizontal line, and groups of dots are above and below the town's name.

Jim

mordor

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 02:43:25 am »
Thank you Jim, there seem to be enough proof to exclude any other possibilities.
In some places there are olso references to Dannenberg 229. But I cant find
the online version of the book any more... :-(

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 07:41:58 am »
Dannenberg 229 (Kluge 95) has a different saint's name on the reverse: SCS DOMITIANVS.  Also on that coin the town's name does not interrupt the outer inscription and the groups of pellets are not present.  I was unable to find an online photo of your coin.

Regards,
Jim

mordor

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:00:49 am »
Yes, you are right. Only two Dannenberg 229 s...
Do you think its rare?

mordor

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:14:29 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity