Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thrace, Apollonia Pontika "Medusa" authenticity?  (Read 588 times)

Offline Equity

• Consul
Thrace, Apollonia Pontika "Medusa" authenticity?
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:30:55 am »
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your recent help with the Histiaia tetrobol. I was able to have the transaction cancelled, though I see that more coins of that type are being offered on auction. Not certain what I can do, as I'm hardly qualified to report it. Oh well.

I would very much like your opinions on another coin that I purchased. This type, purportedly a "Medusa" drachm from Thrace, also seems to have been victim of the infamous "New York Hoard" of forgeries as described on this page:
[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Here are pictures below of my coin (more available if needed).

I can't quite decide which "type" on Reid Goldsborough's page these correspond to. I don't yet have a scale accurate enough to weigh this coin (should have one in the coming week), but the seller described it as weighing 2.2 grams, which is significantly lower than the examples I see on acsearch, which concerns me.

I realize this is not a particularly fine or expensive coin--just a novice trying to rectify mistakes! Would very much appreciate opinions on its authenticity.
Thanks!
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
Re: Thrace, Apollonia Pontika "Medusa" authenticity?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »
Looks to be a "Late Last Issue" of the earlier type of Apollonia Pontica Medusa with the gorgon on the reverse and the anchor on the obverse.  The weight of these are usually around 3.2 g.   Yours is a little light perhaps due to corrosion (horn silver?), but looks OK to me (as long as you don't see any file marks on the edges).  I have a couple similar examples in my gallery.

Offline Equity

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:42:03 pm »
That's reassuring, thank you. I will weigh the coin once I get my jeweller's scale (new to the hobby, just bought that), perhaps the advertised weight was lower than the actual.

I'm very curious as to your mention of "horn silver"--the tarnish is presumably silver sulfide? Whereas "horn silver" appears to be a synonym for silver chloride?

That's quite a collection of gorgons in your gallery, very impressive! I agree, it does resemble your "late last issue" example.

There are a couple of pictures of the rim, and there's a noticeable "gouge". It does not seem (to my untrained eye) to have been filed, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:09:24 pm »
Yes, Horn silver (silver chloride) is a corrosion that will leave a coin pitted.  On one of my coins it was pretty thick, almost tar looking though it can look dark purple to grey.  When I removed it, I was left with a pitted mess (thank goodness it was only a common Roman ;)).  The file marks I refered to would be along the edge as to remove a casting seam.  I only mentioned it because I found some on my most expensive Apollonia Pontica Medusa after it's "twin" was posted here in the Fake Gallery.  I have since found 2 other identical coins (see composite pic in my Black Cabinet gallery).  Collecting Apollonia Pontica Medusas can be a tricky business!   :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity