Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 100 objects from the British Museum - BBC radio  (Read 2290 times)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
100 objects from the British Museum - BBC radio
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:10 pm »
I've been picking up the series from usenet.  It's fairly interesting so far, but I wish they'd get to the Roman stuff.  I suspect they'll start in a week or two.

By the way, are there any Roman-related shows or series on the horizon on BBC radio?

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: 100 objects from the British Museum - BBC radio
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:14:37 pm »
I've been totally enchanted with the series so far, Cliff. High marks for the BBC! But I understand your impatience about reaching Roman times.

BTW, I assume you know that the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld) allows you to look at the objects while listening to the commentary.

Bill R

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:58:57 pm »
I hope it is better than the British Museum series on Radio 7 in January. They spoke to the curator of coins but only skimmed over Roman coins in about 15 seconds and spent the rest of the discussion talking about a 5 lb (yes, 5 pounds in weight) "coin" from Sweden. I was very disappointed.

Re Roman stuff on the Beeb - try Radio 7 - it is currently running the drama series of one of the Falco books (the Roman detective). They had The Silver Pigs in January and it's The Silver somethings else this week. You can usually do a catchup of the week's episodes on Sunday afternoons from about 2pm GB time. Check the Radio 7 website for times.

Anyone else in Europe: You can pick up Radio 7 via satellite dish. Check lyngsat.com for the frequencies on Astra at 28.2 deg East.
(They also have great old time comedy from the 50s and 60s - all good clean fun!)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:00 pm »
Presumably they were talking about plate money. Interesting stuff, but it's not ancient!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:37:30 am »
I don't know how far behind the posts on usenet are, but they're finally up to the first coin of Croesus.  It won't be too long until the Hellenistic and Roman periods.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:44 pm »
I haven't done it yet, but I noticed the word, 'Podcasts'.  Also, plainly it's meant for children, school children.  It's the least a great nation can do, but it must be done well.
Pat L.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:14:08 pm »
I haven't done it yet, but I noticed the word, 'Podcasts'.  Also, plainly it's meant for children, school children.  It's the least a great nation can do, but it must be done well.
Pat L.

The 100 objects series is seriously  adult, and with current great thinkers contributing to every episode. One of the most interesting things to me is which great thinkers they will bring into each episode. There are surprising choices. The Croesus talk wandered into the introduction and use of money, electrum, how coins were made, how uses, links to trade, major architecture etc. I think they had Richard Rogers (architect) as well as a kingpin from Goldman Sachs commenting. We are some 20 episodes into the series now and I think it will prove an all time great radio show, as much for the famous names as for the objects.

There are accompanying talks in the museum - a metallurgist is giving a talk about the Croesus.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:14:03 pm »
Yes, but anything less isn't good enough for 10-14 year old children.  This is the right age for getting hooked on metallurgy, geography, periodization, etc., etc.  I read on and on at the site, and they do think that children are good enough for their programs.  Any program that isn't also good enough for us, isn't good enough for children, either.
Pat L.

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 02:42:44 am »
I've been enjoying the series.  I thought it was kind of cheesy that the series is going on hiatus until May 17th, just as they were getting to the really good stuff.

It would be nice if they could put in a new Falco production or something Roman in the meantime, or even a new Paul Temple recreation.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity