Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two Victories Lambda Alfa??  (Read 973 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Two Victories Lambda Alfa??
« on: October 21, 2007, 08:16:33 am »
Hi,

I can't figure this one out, mainly because the obverse is blurred. Maybe Constans? What caught my attention was the anagram between the Victories, because I have never seen it before. Can anyone help me identify this? Thank you in advance!!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
Re: Two Victories Lambda Alfa??
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:46:56 am »
Hi Ignasi
Maybe NA in center and PARL or SARL in exerge, Arles mint ?
Saludos
Mario

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 11:36:07 am »
Thank you, Mario. Yes, it could be Arles. However, if it's NA, as you say, what does it mean? And also, would it be Constans, as I thought, or someone else?

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 12:11:44 pm »
I agree with Mario, it is Arles. The ex. is PARL. The NA should look like a monogram of M and A. The obv. legend has ..STANTI - left of the bust, so it is Constantius II. Fortunately there is only one entrance with this break:
RIC VIII, Arles 78; LRBC 455; struck AD 347-348; very common (C5), struck in huge numbers.
The MA monogram seems to be the symbol of this series. The meaning is unknown, as usual.

Best regards

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 12:37:06 pm »
Thank you, Jochen. Constantius II, then.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 03:20:10 pm »
Sorry to be a nuisance with this coin, but it's giving me too much trouble, probably, for what it's worth... I can't find RIC 78 Arles in ERIC, or on any of the online databases I usually check. Of course, I don't have RIC VIII, which is surely the problem... Could anyone kindly provide the full description of this coin, please? Thank you again.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 11:02:09 pm »
Hi Ignasi
AE3/4 Constantius II
Ob: CONSTANTI-VS PF AVG - laurel + rosette diademed, draped and cuirassed bust r.
Rv: VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN - two Victories standing facing each other, each holding wreath & palm - "NA" in center
Exerge: PARL
RIC VIII Arles 78
Rarity: C5

Mario

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 03:56:23 am »
Thank you, once again, Mario!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity