Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius Proto-Contorniate  (Read 528 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Antoninus Pius Proto-Contorniate
« on: January 19, 2022, 05:41:46 pm »
This Antoninus Pius sestertius appears to have been made into a proto-contorniate and then (possibly later) holed.

Interestingly, the rim (which was difficult for me to photograph clearly), which was hammered like all proto-contorniates, has a stamped or incised  :zag: like pattern on it.  I am not sure how common this is on photo-contorinates - my other ones all have smooth edges.

Antoninus Pius, sestertius, Rome, circa 140-143 AD.
ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P COS III, Laureate head right.
CONCORDIAE, S-C, two small figures of Pius (on left) and Faustina I (on right) clasping hands over an altar, standing under two colossal statues of Pius (on left, holding statuette) and Faustina I (on right) also clasping hands.
RIC-601; BMC-1236

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
Re: Antoninus Pius Proto-Contorniate
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 04:57:39 am »
The big figures are Antoninus and Faustina I, the small ones are Marcus Aurelius and Faustina II.
It´s a marriage issue.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 09:39:57 am »
Based on what sources?  That was indeed the description in some old works.

My description is based on Martin Beckmann's 2012 Diva Faustina: Coinage and Cult in Rome and the Provinces, ANS Numismatic Studies 26. 

Beckmann's work includes an extensive die study of the AV and the sestertii.  He shows that this type, which was also struck for Faustina I, but is much more rare for her than for Antoninus Pius, dates earlier than the 145 AD wedding and is therefore much more likely linked to the colossal statues located in the Temple of Rome and Venus at the east end of the forum.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 09:40:18 am »
Great piece Shaun.  Not sure how I missed it. 

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 03:18:24 am »
Based on what sources?  That was indeed the description in some old works.

My description is based on Martin Beckmann's 2012 Diva Faustina: Coinage and Cult in Rome and the Provinces, ANS Numismatic Studies 26. 

Beckmann's work includes an extensive die study of the AV and the sestertii.  He shows that this type, which was also struck for Faustina I, but is much more rare for her than for Antoninus Pius, dates earlier than the 145 AD wedding and is therefore much more likely linked to the colossal statues located in the Temple of Rome and Venus at the east end of the forum.

SC

Oh, oh, you are right. I really recalled completely wrong what I had read 15 years ago here in a posting of Curtis Clay :-[
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=34584.msg219826#msg219826

I am getting older...

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 09:38:49 am »
A fate that befall us all.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity