Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New small hoard found in Spain.  (Read 515 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: New small hoard found in Spain.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 05:35:38 pm »
Hi RC,

Thanks for the link to the article.

If it wasn't for the badger, no one would know that the coins were there. I wonder what the badger thought of the coins or what he/she intended to do with them. I am sure that people can think of many funny stories about this badger and the coins. :)

One disappointing aspect of this is that they appear to be common late Roman bronze Imperial coins. In my mind, it would have been a better find if they were Greek or early Roman Provincial coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 06:14:46 pm »
There is always a better hoard Meep! While we are wishing, why not wish for a hoard of mint condition Augustan aurei or lifetime Alexander decadrachms? :)
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 07:52:35 pm »
Absolutely lovely post by Ron! I wouldn’t give up so quickly on the badger with a good nose for Roman hoards. It would certainly raise quite a few laughs if a collector ascribed the provenance of these Roman coins to the ex Property of a Badger. Other treasures have been found in the dense woodlands of Grado. In the late 1930s, the so-called Chapipi treasure (14 gold coins and gold rings from the time of Constantine) was also found in the area, El País says. But for now, only the badger knows whether there is more treasure to find…

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 08:21:45 am »
They should name the badger Garrett!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity