Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Romanus III Gold Histamenon  (Read 750 times)

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
Romanus III Gold Histamenon
« on: January 07, 2022, 09:40:35 pm »
Happy New Year! Here’s my very first Byzantine gold coin acquisition with detailed description. Please enjoy.

Romanus III Argyrus (12 Nov 1028 - 11 Apr 1034 AD), Gold Histamenon Nomisma, DOC III-2 1d, Morrisson BnF 43/Cp/AV/01, Ratto 1972, Sommer 43.2.2, SBCV 1819, Wroth BMC 2, EF, weight 4.45g, maximum diameter 25.0mm, die axis 180°, Constantinople (Istanbul, Turkey) mint, 12 Nov 1028 - 11 Apr 1034 AD; obverse + IҺS XIS RЄX-RЄϚNANTIҺm (Jesus Christ, King of Kings), Christ Pantokrator, bearded, enthroned facing on square-backed throne (Type IIa), with nimbus cruciger, wearing pallium and colobium, raising right hand in benediction and holding Book of Gospels by upper edge on left knee with left, pelleted double border surrounding; reverse ΘCЄ bOHΘ'-RωmAҺω (God-Bearer, help Romanus), MΘ (Mother of God) above center, Virgin, nimbate, standing facing on right, wearing pallium and maphorium, raising left hand in benediction and crowning with right Romanus III, bearded, standing facing on left, wearing crown with cross and pendilia, sakkos and modified square pattern loros with four pellets on fold, holding right hand on breast and globus cruciger in left, pelleted double border surrounding; scarce.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Romanus III Gold Histamenon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 04:03:43 am »
Nice choice. I really like the Romanus III histamena. It was one of my first byzantine gold coins too. Maximum diameter that still feels like a sturdy coin. The later ones seem too thin and flimsy in comparison.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity