Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet Challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins!!!

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: Forum's past sales - is info public anywhere?  (Read 178 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Forum's past sales - is info public anywhere?
« on: December 05, 2021, 12:27:42 pm »
Question regarding forum's past sales. I know the better coins (I don't think all of them?) are visible under each sales category. 

What I don't see anywhere is the price they were sold for or the timeframe.

One thing I like about certain other large dealers and auction houses is their past catalogue data stays online. You can see what a coin sold for and when. This can help in understanding market value at a moment, what it has done over time, and the prevalence of a coin in a dealer's inventory, which can be indicative of its prevalence in the market in general.

If the info is already posted, apologies for not being aware. If it's not posted, has any thought been given to doing so to aid collectors in their research?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Forum's past sales - is info public anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 02:26:43 pm »
My understanding is that not showing sold prices is a conscious Forum decision, it has been discussed a few times IIRC. Or maybe I read on a page in the shop. I, too, wish I could see past sales prices. The funny thing is when I buy a coin (or lot) and it doesn't show up in past sales on the public side, I then know I probably bought a coin that wasn't particularly desirable. LOL. If all the coins show up in past sales, then perhaps they are in an order where I can't find them. That part doesn't really matter because the data is in my order history, but I have noticed it.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 07:30:36 am »
In most places, auctions are required buy law to make the final price and even the last few bids public in order to reduce fraud. FORVM sales are PRIVATE sales. FORVM is not an auction. The price is nobody's business but the buyer's and the consignor's. Price information is not shared.

Also, any listing that has been around for 20 plus years that provides prices but not the date of sale would be useless.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 07:33:17 am »
Fair enough Joe, what about starting to post maybe the year a back catalogue specimen was sold? That would be useful info without disclosing price paid.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 02:47:52 pm »
Fair enough Joe, what about starting to post maybe the year a back catalogue specimen was sold? That would be useful info without disclosing price paid.

That would be a job for Sorin to program and his list of things to do is very very long. I could put this on it the list but it probably wouldn't get done for many years.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 04:42:14 pm »
Fair enough. If I didn't ask, I wouldn't know :)

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 12:01:21 am »
I live with the lack of sold prices, but I don't see how it is private information as far as privacy is concerned because buyer's names are not disclosed. As far as I know, buyer's names are not disclosed on sales in auctions, either. With auctions, it is super useful to see what prices realized were, both for general market trends, as well as for how much a person got overbid for coins that they wanted. Or, to get an idea of prices for coins I may want to bid on in future versus actual prices paid. I sell stuff on Ebay quite a bit (not coins) and the absolute most valuable search option for research is actual prices people paid for things (Ebay has that search option). There are some items on Ebay that are listed for $10,000 plus that have never sold and similar items have sold for a couple of dollars. Huge differences. Seems to me that it would be super easy to show sold prices if one wanted to. No one cares who bought it, they care about the price realized. Like I have said many times recently, coin prices seem to have really increased in the past year or so. I guess I would just like to know that the coin I am paying $100 for today was $50 or $150 a year ago. And I am pretty sure none were $150 and plenty were $50. That is the market, I get it. But hiding prices is deceptive to me. That is the impression, in any case. Does it really matter? No, I am going to pay the going price or I am not. I personally do not care if a coin I bought has its price listed somewhere, with or without my name. I do, however, feel like I do not have all available information I should be able to have when the prices realized are hidden. And I always think these days how we are now in the era of dynamic pricing where sites like Amazon charge different prices to different people based on how much the algorithm thinks one person will pay more than another. And all a consumer like me thinks every day is how much we are getting ripped off. Truely it is a horrible situation all around when everyone thinks they are getting ripped off, whether they actually are or not. Such is life with unregulated capitalism. Sure, I live with it because I have no choice. But, I also feel ripped off way more than I should. Not a good look, really. And, Joe, I am not picking on you at all. This is way more widespread than one seller. Yet, the really ironic thing is that the Forum Members Auctions (that I buy from a lot) have both prices realized and the bidding records and winning buyers listed forever, and I hope you never change that because it is the basis for when I do my flip texts and remember how much I paid for a coin.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity